Arrival: RJAA Tokyo / Nartia
    Arrival Time: 16:55
    Stops: 0

Awaiting for IFR Clearance for Taxi to active Runway 7L

Taxing to the active runway 7L under a down pour of rain

Climbing out of VHHH using Runway 7R

Cruising at 31,500 Feet en-route to Toyko, Narita

Making one final turn towards the runway at Tokyo

Coming in on final, something is horribly wrong as I bring the gears down and slow the plane for a manual landing. I don't think I have right gauges or settings for the panel for this POSKY 747.... oh well.

Trying to keep the nose gear inline with the runways center line, but no such luck.... this bird is in for a rough manual landing.

The end result is a tail strike.........

Resting at Tokyo, Narita Airport before undergoing a maintenance check on the tail section.

Fail....

Comment

Haha...those POSKY models always screw up!

Comment

Originally posted by United.AirlinesLover View Post
        Fail....
        Tailstrike at Touchdown?!, thankfully that happens only to very few (Simulator)B744s.
        @ Promagstyle: Speaking in FlightSimulator-terms, did you merge a non-Posky-panel into that B744?
        More possible reasons for this suboptimal touchdown:
        tailstrike (at t/o or at touchdown) happens if you give a wrong climb angle/descent angle to your 747.
        Initial climb angle depends on payload, FOB, rwy length and airport weather and some more aspects, but in most cases you don't have to pull more than 12°.
        Descent angle in manual landings depends alot on how fast and how heavy you are with your 747. So I'd check the following points:
        - check runway alt. before taxi to t/o (dep. airport)
        - check runway alt. before taxi to t/o (arr. airport)
        - check all your altimeters before t/o, do not take off when announced runway alt. (departure) and alt. in your altimeters are not the same.
        - always apply FULL flaps before you are on short final, a 747 does not want to touch down with KIAS 250, so we have to "pull the brakes" when still in the air.
        and last but not least, a precise fuel calculation is helpful for a happy landing, do not exceed MLW.
        Let me know your next landing at RJAA.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

The POSKY flight dynamics are some of the worst around, they really are poor. Nice shots though.

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Initial climb angle depends on payload, FOB, rwy length and airport weather and some more aspects, but in most cases you don't have to pull more than 12°.
          15° seems reasonable for most flights or even 17° if your light. In the PMDG, the only time I climb at 12° is when the aircraft is fully loaded. Unless your de-rating the takeoff alot, then 15°-17° should be fine for most flights..

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
            [...]
            15° seems reasonable for most flights or even 17° if your light. In the PMDG, the only time I climb at 12° is when the aircraft is fully loaded. Unless your de-rating the takeoff alot, then 15°-17° should be fine for most flights..
            Personally never tested the VHHH - RJAA route. I'll try that soon and I'll carefully watch the degrees during t/o, and in the moment when the first tires touch the ground (landing).
            B744s have a proper designed tail, so that I've never experienced a B744 tailstrike, especially not when touching down. Maybe our CX-B744 pilot simply exceeded MLW, so that his simulator showed him the sparks.
            You don't have to order "fully fueled" for VHHH - RJAA, a rough guess would be 1,540 nm/2860 km (the flightplan will be more precise), and now we convert that into fuel...
            The lighter you are the more you can pull during t/o, but I'll see what happens during VHHH - RJAA. I'd guess I can avoid a tailstrike.
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
            X