Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargain air fares US to Europe

I read this article a few days ago:
    Prices for round-trip flights from U.S. cities to Europe have hit 30-year lows in recent weeks thanks to a mix of factors, including cheap European hotels, a strong dollar and terrorism fears &#821…

The article is accurate; I just booked a roundtrip flight DEN to LHR for $602.00. (If I had picked Icelandair the flight would have been $480.00). Looks like the fares only apply to a 7-day trip.

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
    I read this article a few days ago:

The article is accurate; I just booked a roundtrip flight DEN to LHR for $602.00. (If I had picked Icelandair the flight would have been $480.00). Looks like the fares only apply to a 7-day trip.
    You'll surely don't mention when exactly your flight takes place. And I don't know 'your' airline...

One stop flights in general are cheaper than nonstop flights, that's what I've found out. But, imho, the 'bargain strategy' can't be used always. If you'd ask me, for a difference of... 122 US-$ (!), as an example, I wouldn't try to change the aircraft in the middle of the night. I don't know the Icelandair schedule, but if there are nonstop flights, yes, nonstop is appreciated.

Now, the interesting question is, Denver is not only part of the LH schedule, but especially part of the LH-B744 schedule.

What would be the fare in a LH-B744? If you insisted on a LH-B744, continued with 1 stop to/from LHR, ... 1615 US-Dollars, for the beginning of January 2017. But four weeks is almost last-minute, for such a route, isn't it.
    So, the 747 does not seem like a bargain. But there are people who still like it, since 2008...

And, if you ask me, crew members (not only on longhaul flights) should not be treated as a bargain.

Aviation in general is not the topic where I'd insist on ... less crew members/less fuel than needed (?!)/less fuel stops than possible with a special aircraft (?!?!)...
    We can continue the discussion in the LaMia 2933 topic, here on this platform.

PS: The B744 is not a bargain, not either the nonstop 747 on that route... So, I'd guess you didn't try to fly as early as New Year's Eve.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-03, 20:16. Reason: The B744
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

The only non-stop flight DEN to LHR is British Airways on a 747. The flight I booked is at the end of January 2017.

(I found a round trip fare on Icelandair DEN -Frankfurt for $574.18 )

Comment

The only non-stop flight DEN to LHR is British Airways on a 747. The flight I booked is at the end of January 2017.

Wow. Thank You for your VERY quick response. Booked, let's say, last Monday, for eight weeks later. Ok, that's a thing that I can't repeat today. Eight weeks later from today, that'd be a take off at Denver in the first days of February '017.

And the fares change, sometimes daily, dependant on the efficiency. On Television, they sometimes show flights where the captain says 'Today we are full. Let's earn some money.'
        I can say, that was not Denver in a LH-B744. But the headquarter wouldn't send a 747 if the destination weren't worth it.

And yes, the nonstop flight from Denver is also a B744. That's why I smiled.

Until today I didn't know that Denver is also a 747 meeting point. But I don't think that a 747 in Denver is available for 602 $. I also looked up the nonstop British Jumbo, and the website tried to tell me... 1500 Euros, again for the beginning of January '017.

So, let's say we don't publish 'your' airline, but I'd guess it is a 1 stop flight... I don't know which aircraft you'll be on, but

Let me wish you good flights, an aircraft change when you don't try to sleep, and a pleasant stay in Europe.

PS: Denver Post is a Newspaper, why didn't you mention that. I don't use every link, but the airline is described pretty well. They don't use their B744s in Denver?
        But I assume that the airline guarantees you an aircraft that can do the distance nonstop, or if that is not the case, that always is enough fuel on board.
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-03, 23:53. Reason: The airline is welcome, also without 747.

Comment

Ah. I can't resist. That's my avatar, almost. Only the registration changes, from time to time. As my favourite airline does no longer produce such pictures...
          The a/c type and the TDZ remains the same. And I am grateful that at least 1 airline still produces such pictures...

The Jumbo, in its most natural living space.

It seems like a wonder, am I still on topic? I still don't know if a Jumbo can be a bargain, I've not yet looked up that flight. But it doesn't change a thing.

The airline is welcome, especially with a 747.

PS: Your journey didn't give me a rest. B763ER, is possible. Some a/c types very very very rarely or almost never appear in the list 'flights that touched ground due to lack of fuel'. I wished we could've communicated that to Guarulhos, before last Monday...
          A four engined jet which touched ground due to a lack of fuel. That still does not fit into my head.

Aviation is not a topic where I'd insist on ... less range.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-04, 01:44. Reason: Some flights deserve the Jumbo, not the Jumbolino...

Comment

Indeed. I've taxied behind them more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              Indeed. I've taxied behind them more than once.
              Aha. Age is so very unimportant. Knowledge about what you do and responsibility indeed is. If you'd ask me for an answer in one second, I couldn't say if I've sat in an a/c behind a 747 in my life, as a passenger.

But I know (who should know that if not me), the B744 stick measure (dt.: Stockmaß). The main deck floor is (with MTOW) 4,74 m above the apron, not to speak about the upper deck...
              If you don't also sit in a 747, that must feel quite like a smurf, doesn't it?

But I LOVE this bird, even if the cockpit seems to have taken off... while still on the apron. Fly high, as a Portuguese JP member once said. With a good overview, can't be bad.

Highkeas told us when to book a flight. I think, for February 16th, even a nonstop Jumbo could be affordable.

Comment

good to hear that,....airlines must come up with better options of europe-US flights.

Comment

Working...
                X