Stick and rudder skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick and rudder skills

Pilot Workshops (www.pilotworkshop.com) is offering a new training: Mastering Stick and Rudder Flying

Sorry, the program you were looking for is no longer available from PilotWorkshops. You can see our available products here.    

The program looks nice (if a bit expensive at $100). But there are a few things that called my attention. Especially this one:

The bottom line is that a chalkboard, a magazine article, or even a simple slideshow can’t convey these important subjects as easily, interactively, and intuitively as thistraining.
    How about a good instruction in a real plane supported by ground instruction with a chalkboard and a good PC flight simulator?

This line comes at the end of this pragraph:

Designed for YOUR experience level!
    Whether you’ve got 50 or 5,000 hours, this training is designed to sharpen your stick and rudder skills. Even the 5,000-hour pilot might not have been trained thoroughly on these topics. One highly-experienced pilot recently completed the ground effect section and commented, “I never knew it worked that way!” The bottom line is that a chalkboard, a magazine article, or even a simple slideshow can’t convey these important subjects as easily, interactively, and intuitively as thistraining.
    I wonder (and it has been always my concern) if that may be the case for more "highly experienced pilots" than we think (not talking about ground effect in particular).
    In my personal opinion, which is based on interaction with experienced pilots both in aviation forums and in real life, good experienced pilots are very well versed in WHAT to do, bot not so much in HOW IT WORKS. I remember for example stability, ground effect, and stall discussions in the old AD.com and here, as well as discussions between very experienced pilots in PPRuNe where they could not agree in these "how it works" thingies.

I don't know if this course is good. I wonder if they are being technically correct in their explanations (many times, books and courses for pilots aren't - not talking of pilotworkshop in particular because I've never read or used one by them). Or if they are oversimplifying (things should be done as simple as possible, but not simpler than that).

I am not flying anymore, but I am considering buying this course just to satisfy my aviation hunger and the curiosity to see how these subjects are approached. If only it was cheaper than $100.....

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

One highly-experienced pilot recently completed the ground effect section and commented, “I never knew it worked that way!”
    Right, because you were never taught how it works. It's amazing how many pilots are surprised to learn that they didn't know things they have never been taught and have never researched.

I was just reading about how airlines and even the USAF are having trouble filling cockpit seats. I wonder if lowering the bar to include those without the mental aptitude for "how it works" is helping them fill those "what to do" jobs...

Anyway, my position is that if you are a line pilot and your company is too cheap to teach you these things, you should take some initiative and spend the $100.

Comment

I would not want to be the teacher with Gabe in the class. Genuine jab, but with love.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Right, because you were never taught how it works. It's amazing how many pilots are surprised to learn that they didn't know things they have never been taught and have never researched.

I was just reading about how airlines and even the USAF are having trouble filling cockpit seats. I wonder if lowering the bar to include those without the mental aptitude for "how it works" is helping them fill those "what to do" jobs...

Anyway, my position is that if you are a line pilot and your company is too cheap to teach you these things, you should take some initiative and spend the $100.
        Just the good ole tension between procedures, fundamentals, and mind capacity.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
        X