Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indication problem?

The media is reporting this as a "fire indication problem"
    Hmmmmm,Look at the Number 2 engine, I'm not so sure. [img]shake.gif[/img] [img]uhoh.gif[/img]

Indication problem?

Pfff, fire? There's no traces of fire!

Hehe seriously though, this is quite an impressive photo. It look like someone took a bite out of it. Has the aircraft bee diverted to St Johns echo papa alpha?
    Eagle may soar, but weasel never get sucked into jet engines

Comment

Indication problem?

November 2, 2002
      United Airlines passenger jet makes emergency landing in Newfoundland

GANDER, Nfld. (CP) -- A United Airlines passenger jet was forced to make an emergency landing in Newfoundland late Friday.

The Boeing 777 landed without incident in Gander after an indicator light showed a fire in one of the engines, said United spokesman Jeff Green.

He said the pilot of the Newark-to-London flight activated a fire extinguisher and diverted to Gander.

An investigation of the engine found no evidence of a fire, and the airline believes it was a faulty indicator light, Green said.

Another plane was being flown to Gander late Saturday to pick up the passengers and fly them on to London.

There were 267 passengers and crew on board the plane.

Comment

Indication problem?

Thanks for replying for me Curious.
        I'm hoping to get some more pics of this incident.
        I'll post them as I get them. [img]smilewink.gif[/img]

Comment

Indication problem?

I don't think this is the article that relates to that picture. Quoting the article...

An investigation of the engine found no evidence of a fire, and the airline believes it was a faulty indicator light, Green said.

There are more than enough evidence that this engine caught fire.

Comment

Indication problem?

When and where did this happen?? And exactly what happened?? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Indication problem?

Well that is the aircraft that diverted to YQX Nov 2.
              And that link refers to that incident. They do not get very many 777s in YQX. That was the only one on the ground that week.
              Perhaps the airline was trying to downplay the incident? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
              Would an airline do such a thing? [img]nod.gif[/img] [img]nod.gif[/img]
              I'll post more pics as I get them.

Comment

Indication problem?

quote:
                Originally posted by radarbeam:
                I don't think this is the article that relates to that picture. Quoting the article...

There are more than enough evidence that this engine caught fire.

such as?

Comment

Indication problem?

Such as the big gapping hole in engine number 2, maybe?

Comment

Indication problem?

You will also notice that one of the "pontoons" on the wing is missing and there is what looks like soot or smoke traces on the upper wing surface. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]nod.gif[/img]

Comment

Indication problem?

I took the photos of this B777 in YQX over the past weekend. I was home visiting my parents in Gander when I read about the incident on CBC's webpage and decided to go up and have a look for myself. This airplane obviously had an engine fire, see the engine damage and the black marks from the heat and smoke? Also note the damaged pontoon.

These pics show the other United 777 that arrived to pick up the passengers.

[ November 06, 2002 08:46 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by OurKid ]
                      Ourkid

Comment

Indication problem?

Ourkid

Comment

Indication problem?

Slew Chris!!! [img]laff.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img]

Comment

Indication problem?

Slew Frank!
                            Ourkid

Comment

Indication problem?

The same plane the next morning while I was waiting to get on a flight....clearly this plane wasn't going anywhere for a while. The other 777 had left the day before.

[ November 06, 2002 10:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by OurKid ]
                              Ourkid

Comment

Working...
                              X