Plane Spotters Acquitted of Spying Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane Spotters Acquitted of Spying Charges

This case has been discussed on other boards: although most agree that the Greek paranoia vis-a-vis foreign planespotters is ridiculous the people charged had been notified before leaving the UK that this activity was not well tolerated in Greece yet they chose to disregard the warning, so in a sense what happened to them they had coming. Fortunately the Greeks stopped short of convicting them, maybe others will think twice next time.

Beats me what's so special about planespotting in that country though: the aircarft you see there you can likely see anywhere in Europe as well

Hi All,

This article caught my eye when reading the Denver Post on Thursday, November 7, 2002.

I guess some countries are a little less accepting of spotters than others. I can only hope that this paranoia about people watching and taking pictures of airplanes at airports will soon dwindle and die.

Bob

Comment

Some countries are just plain retarded. But that also goes for some spotters. How many times have I seen people walk into areas that say "Restricted" or "Employees Only" only to get upset when someone says something to them??? I almost got into a fight with some guy who insisted on videotaping the Customs Hall at the airport even though there were about 10 signs that said not to do so. Finally a Customs Agent removed his camera and took out his film. Just follow the damn instructions.

Comment

Jim, they did ask permission to go spotting there, when they still were in Britain/Netherlands. It was an airshow. Coming there, while noting tailnumbers (which all can be found on the internet), they were arrested and accused of espionage.

Comment

On my home base (ENBR) they think that it's a little fun to drive us plane spotter's around.
          So i have many times been guided to special aircraft's with the Airport Patrol driving me.
          To bad that in some countries it's illegal to take pictures of aircrafts. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X