Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

737-200 Flight Sim at Delta Airlines Museum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 737-200 Flight Sim at Delta Airlines Museum

    I recently had the opportunity to "fly" the 737-200 in Delta Airlines Flight Museum. It was an awesome experience and I was amazed at how realistic it was, considering it was a fairly old sim. If you ever get the chance, it's well worth it. By the way, the museum itself is well worth a visit to Atlanta.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DFF78B9F-B4AD-4A79-A8B1-937D545686E4_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1074803Click image for larger version

Name:	767FACEB-4106-424B-8A8B-DDA59BDF1320_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1074802

  • #2
    Nice!

    Can you just walk-in or you need to make reservations in advance to be able to get a slot in the sim? And how long do they let you use it?

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe you need to reserve it. They typically sell 1 hour sessions, about $450. Not a cheap gig, but I loved it. Wish I could have spent the entire day.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bweinberg View Post
        I believe you need to reserve it. They typically sell 1 hour sessions, about $450. Not a cheap gig, but I loved it. Wish I could have spent the entire day.
        450. US-Dollars? Another assumption. Later this sunday I could telephone with Delta concerning DL #091, today with B764ER. And probably I could find a day, still this year, when they offer me the return flight for 450, i.e. to KATL and back to Düsseldorf.

        That's unbelievably expensive, for only 1 hour in a simulator. Who sits in the leftseat? Flight Captain Randazzo himself, or John Travolta?

        I have never asked Delta how much a real flight hour with a real Boeing 737 check Captain in the left seat would cost. But in Europe, you pay clearly less than 450, and you really take off, not in a jet, but in a propeller.

        PS: Gabe. I forgot to tell you that in Europe also a computer which is able to run fsx plus fsgrw plus Randazzo's LH-B744 simulator (copyright Robert Randazzo, anno 2009) is less than 2000.
        US-Dollars if you want. Clearly less than that. Or did I mention that already this year. I really can't believe that Intel cpu's should be more expensive in the country where that all has been invented than in Europe!

        I don't even know somebody who paid 2000 US-$ only for a case with Intel inside cpu, mainboard, amd radeon HD video card, 650 watt power supply, a really fast hdd, and some gigs of RAM. All displays and the o/s are extra, that's for sure. But for 2000, I find you a shop who sells you two quite good gamer computers!
        Mounting is zero $ when I do the hardware. No overclocking (neither gpu nor cpu) thus no water cooling needed, when I buy the parts.
        Alpenföhn (Baade-Wüddemberch) coolers are nice but also extra, illuminated cases and illuminated keyboards (!) as well.
        Plus the o/s so that you can write a jetphotos forum entry is... negotiable.

        I am really bad with the German language south of Rhein/Main International Airport. Please forgive me.
        Jubilees do count. Type 747-100, inauguration flight: February 1969.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        LH is member in the 747 club since April 1970.
        Aviation enthusiast, since more than 30 years with home airport EDDL.

        Comment


        • #5
          Gabriel. For 2000 US-$ I find you a shop who sells you a customized case which you'll not find everywhere with not necessarily the most expensive but some very fine electronic parts in it.
          Rest: 1000 US-$.

          Plus a rather unimportant European airline who sells you a return flight between Rhein/Main and Houston nonstop, on board, what would you guess when I write that entry, a Boeing 747-800 passage jet ...
          Rest: still clearly more than zero US-$ .
          Only a rough guess, but I don't own that nickname since 11 years without a little bit of knowledge about the prices..

          PS: I really really really miss my signature. Is knowledge about fine electronic parts a topic which I should exclusively discuss with 3WE and Gabriel? Accuphase, Bowers & Wilkins, McIntosh, ELAC Kiel GmbH, Grundig Nürnberg, Harman & Kardon, Naim, Ortofon, Restek, SME, Spectral, Stax elektrostat, Thiel CS, ...
          Warning: Especially the German customs often confuse 'knowledge about' with 'ownership'. I know how a McIntosh 7900 looks like, but I don't own one. The same goes with a Panamera GTS. You probably have seen one, but do you own one. Why. Do the German customs pay that well?!

          Back on topic. 450 US-$ per hour. If you are envious by nature then German customs definitely is the wrong job for you. The threadstarter here shows you the way, to Atlanta GA. Delta Air Museum. But only with envy you'll not succeed there either.

          Sorry, but without the biography option and without the signature option, I have to go somewhere with my hobbies. German customs... Raise a fist, who likes the customs. I really see nothing. Thus, this forum is ok.

          A good rest of the weekend for all of us.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-11-17, 09:39.
          Jubilees do count. Type 747-100, inauguration flight: February 1969.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          LH is member in the 747 club since April 1970.
          Aviation enthusiast, since more than 30 years with home airport EDDL.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
            Gabriel. For 2000 US-$ I find you a shop who sells you a customized case which you'll not find everywhere with not necessarily the most expensive but some very fine electronic parts in it.
            Rest: 1000 US-$.

            Plus a rather unimportant European airline who sells you a return flight between Rhein/Main and Houston nonstop, on board, what would you guess when I write that entry, a Boeing 747-800 passage jet ...
            Rest: still clearly more than zero US-$ .
            Only a rough guess, but I don't own that nickname since 11 years without a little bit of knowledge about the prices..

            PS: I really really really miss my signature. Is knowledge about fine electronic parts a topic which I should exclusively discuss with 3WE and Gabriel? Accuphase, Bowers & Wilkins, McIntosh, ELAC Kiel GmbH, Grundig Nürnberg, Harman & Kardon, Naim, Ortofon, Restek, SME, Spectral, Stax elektrostat, Thiel CS, ...
            Warning: Especially the German customs often confuse 'knowledge about' with 'ownership'. I know how a McIntosh 7900 looks like, but I don't own one. The same goes with a Panamera GTS. You probably have seen one, but do you own one. Why. Do the German customs pay that well?!

            Back on topic. 450 US-$ per hour. If you are envious by nature then German customs definitely is the wrong job for you. The threadstarter here shows you the way, to Atlanta GA. Delta Air Museum. But only with envy you'll not succeed there either.

            Sorry, but without the biography option and without the signature option, I have to go somewhere with my hobbies. German customs... Raise a fist, who likes the customs. I really see nothing. Thus, this forum is ok.

            A good rest of the weekend for all of us.
            Link?

            --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post

              450. US-Dollars?

              That's unbelievably expensive, for only 1 hour in a simulator. Who sits in the leftseat? Flight Captain Randazzo himself, or John Travolta?
              LH, this is not Randazzo's PDMG running on FSX..

              This is a REAL full-motion, 6-degrees-of-freedom, collimating-graphics, level D sim that Delta used to train REAL 737-200 pilots. You could get the whole type rating in the sim and your first flight in a real plane would be with paying passengers in the back.

              Expensive? Maybe, in the sense that it is a good bunch of money that you need to give.
              But unreasonably expensive? Compared to what? What's your point of reference?

              Do you mean it should cost less? Take into account that the sim has an acquisition cost of 12 million dollars, it is quite maintenance-intensive, it consumes quite a bit of energy, and you have an instructor with you. Plus, the ride can be shared between 4 persons. Because the actual flight is 45 minutes (not counting the 15-minute briefing and the 5-minute debriefing), you can make 2 crews that fly 20~25 minutes each (the instructor doesn't need to occupy a pilot seat). So now you are slightly over $100 per person. Not something to do every week or month. But once every few years? Where do I sign up?

              --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

                LH, this is not Randazzo's PDMG running on FSX..

                This is a REAL full-motion, 6-degrees-of-freedom, collimating-graphics, level D sim that Delta used to train REAL 737-200 pilots. You could get the whole type rating in the sim and your first flight in a real plane would be with paying passengers in the back.

                Expensive? Maybe, in the sense that it is a good bunch of money that you need to give.
                But unreasonably expensive? Compared to what? What's your point of reference?

                Do you mean it should cost less? Take into account that the sim has an acquisition cost of 12 million dollars, it is quite maintenance-intensive, it consumes quite a bit of energy, and you have an instructor with you. Plus, the ride can be shared between 4 persons. Because the actual flight is 45 minutes (not counting the 15-minute briefing and the 5-minute debriefing), you can make 2 crews that fly 20~25 minutes each (the instructor doesn't need to occupy a pilot seat). So now you are slightly over $100 per person. Not something to do every week or month. But once every few years? Where do I sign up?
                This is a REAL full-motion, 6-degrees-of-freedom, collimating-graphics, level D sim that Delta used to train REAL 737-200 pilots.
                Gabe. How long do we know each other by now?

                At least since 11 (in words: eleven) years, that's what I feel. Do you think that an aviation enthusiast with a signature like mine, with a nickname like mine,
                with a favorite airline like what I carry with me like a monstranz everytime when I'm here in this forum,

                do you really think that somebody like me is able to confuse Randazzo's LH-B744 QOTSI fsx semi-pro simulator, which I own and fly,

                with a professional Boeing simulator cockpit which moves on stilts like in a Star Wars movie... ?

                Well, you can't be serious. You underestimate my favorite airline. Lufthansa also owns professional Boeing simulators. And you are right, at this very moment I don't know the price which Lufthansa demands for one hour in one of their ATPL license learning simulators
                if you don't have yet a Lufthansa contract,
                i.e. for foreign users.

                So, probably I should make a difference between three steps of a Boeing simulator.
                1. Randazzo's LH-B744 QOTSI for addicts who just begin to become serious (and LH-B748 passage jet QOTSII for those who like to take the next step).
                2. Not really a real Boeing ATPL license learning simulator, but. Available for clearly less than 450 $ per hour >> https://www.aerotask.de/airbus-a320-...ldorf-airport/

                3. The final step. One hour in a real Lufthansa Boeing ATPL licence learning simulator. Price: ? . I don't even know if Lufthansa opens their simulators for foreign users.
                My rough guess would be, no.

                Greetings, and a happy New Year!
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-01-07, 00:39.
                Jubilees do count. Type 747-100, inauguration flight: February 1969.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                LH is member in the 747 club since April 1970.
                Aviation enthusiast, since more than 30 years with home airport EDDL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  + one more (for detail see #8_).
                  Gabe, I know your home airport, which indeed nobody else on this planet needs to know. So, without mentioning it, doesn't it make sense that,
                  after all that MCAS trouble,
                  we share one hour in a public semi-pro simulator (with a professional briefing) in an a/c type which today really has the license to fly,
                  e.g. an A320,
                  on my home airport?

                  I mean, American Air flies the 320, United flies the 320, Delta flies the 320, and a rather unimportant airline in Europe also flies the 320..

                  737-200 is also nice, but isn't it an a/c type which we today only find in museums? I can tell you comparable a/c types.
                  LH-B735, inaugurated 1990 and left the LH in 2016 .
                  LH-B733, inaugurated 1986 and left the LH in 2016 .

                  And the honorable B734, which I only know from fs9 (inaugurated 2003) .

                  Now, the 732? I know that the 733 and the 734 had a cockpit full of really antique clocks, in German they called it 'Uhrenladen' afaik.
                  Thus, I assume that a 732 is still older than a 733, and therefore there must be something missing in a 732 cockpit, compared to a 733. Only a rough guess.

                  The LH-B744 was inaugurated in 1989, and it comes to you with a PFD, a ND, upper and lower EICAS, GPWS, TCAS, fmc with Victor- and Jet-airways navigation, full autoland (if provided by the airport), et cetera..

                  So, if you ask me. If we can't have one hour in a real Lufthansa 747-400 ATPL license learning simulator, the A320 is much more anno 2020 . Plus the A320 theoretically gives you one instructor which you'll never beat in your 732. The name is LH Flight Captain Carsten Spohr.
                  Jubilees do count. Type 747-100, inauguration flight: February 1969.
                  And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                  LH is member in the 747 club since April 1970.
                  Aviation enthusiast, since more than 30 years with home airport EDDL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    ...12 million dollars...maintenance-intensive...energy...$100 per person [for 12.5 minutes of PIC]...

                    Where do I sign up?
                    The local general aviation airport where maybe you can get an hour in a light plane...Ok, a fraction of an hour, but...

                    I get it that it's mega cool because 1) it's real 2) It's for an OLD low-tech airplane and 3) it's also something of an OLD low-tech simulator 4) I get it that it cost $ to maintain and operate.

                    I'm glad they are preserving it, but unfortunately, I am cheap. I wasn't a frequent flier, but I recall a TWA offer for sim time on an L-1011 for miles (as they were phasing the L-1011 out).
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X