Need help with autoland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with autoland

First I know I'm an idiot as I don't know how to use autoland function.
    So I am flying for about 4 years, and I don't know how to use autoland. (Don't laugh).
    So let's say I'm approaching Warsaw Airport - runway 33 (freq. 110.80/heading 33. What should I do to activate autoland? I tried to set my course/heading to 338, then NAV1 frequency to 110.80. Than I think I should "catch" localizer. Than I just press "App" button on autopilot or what? I tried it but it didn't work. And should I turn the autothrottle on?

Ok, this is for the standard MS cockpit, most payware a/c use other procedures but they should explain that in their manual.

Enter ILS heading, tune both NAV1 and NAV2 to the ILS frequency, establish on localizer and hit the approach switch/button.
    Make sure you have the autopilot engaged and that the "navigation switch" (can’t remember the real name at the moment) is set to NAV and not to GPS.

That’s how I do it anyway

Comment

This is all I do at it seems to work:

1. Set NAV 1 to ILS frequency and switch it to the active, then hit ID
      2. Once you hear the tones, make sure autopilot is on and hit Approach (App)

So yea, same as what Shadower said except I don't bother with the heading or NAV 2, wouldn't ILS just override it anyway?

Comment

Shadower's instructions are correct

Though may I just remind you that this does an ILS approach only and not an "autoland." If you let the aircraft carry on down the glideslope you'll hit the runway with a big thump

Therefore you should disconnect the autopilot once you have the approach lights/runway in sight and land the aircraft manually.

Hope that helps

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
          Shadower's instructions are correct

Though may I just remind you that this does an ILS approach only and not an "autoland." If you let the aircraft carry on down the glideslope you'll hit the runway with a big thump

Therefore you should disconnect the autopilot once you have the approach lights/runway in sight and land the aircraft manually.

Hope that helps

Dale
          Correct, I found that out the hard way first time I tried the APP
          Since I don't have a stick anymore () and flying with only the keyboard bites, I usually disconnect the AP and the A/T when my alt. reaches 100ft, slowly reduce the throttle to idle and start my flare.
          It usually gets me on the ground nice and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadower
            Correct, I found that out the hard way first time I tried the APP
            Since I don't have a stick anymore () and flying with only the keyboard bites, I usually disconnect the AP and the A/T when my alt. reaches 100ft, slowly reduce the throttle to idle and start my flare.
            It usually gets me on the ground nice and easy.
            How can you fly without a stick! I find it nearly impossible! (unless crash is off )

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hampson
              How can you fly without a stick! I find it nearly impossible! (unless crash is off )
              Auto-Pilot after takeoff all the way to the destination then line-up for the ILS and take it off near touchdown. I don't think you will have to turn crashes off

Comment

Thank you people for help so much. So when I establsh on the localizer I should hear some beeping sound, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                  Thank you people for help so much. So when I establsh on the localizer I should hear some beeping sound, right?
                  Yep you should hear that for a while,then plane will turn it's self

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                    So when I establsh on the localizer I should hear some beeping sound, right?
                    You'll hear the beeping sound all of the time if you have NAV1 ID button selected, but it isn't essential to have it switched on (as I discovered earlier today during a random ILS approach), it will still establish the localizer and descend down it

Good luck.

Comment

If you have the LDS 763, or other similar aircraft like PMDG 737/747 here is a nice narrated autoland demonstration:
                      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hampson
                        I've been doing it since FS98 . I even learned to bring airliners into Kai Tak with the keyboard, its easy after a while.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                          I've been doing it since FS98 . I even learned to bring airliners into Kai Tak with the keyboard, its easy after a while.
                          I'll have to get practising!

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                            damn, you've got skills! Doing that with a joystick is hard enough!

Comment

Originally posted by b777
                              If you have the LDS 763, or other similar aircraft like PMDG 737/747 here is a nice narrated autoland demonstration:
                              http://pilots.svil.fi/teropa/LDS/Autoland_narrated.wmv
                              Thanks for the link, yes I hove quite a bit payware jets. One more question. On the autopilot all I have to do is to swich AP on and "App" button. No heading or course button, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X