Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not your typical Westjet pilot (56K beware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not your typical Westjet pilot (56K beware)

This is the perfect example of what line pilots should never attempt: the reckless hey-dude-look-at-this approach.

So... earlier this afternoon, I decided I'd take my 737-700 out for a short hop from Vancouver to Kelowna, BC. The flight itself was flawless, even with the autopilot disengenged the whole time. However, with only a few miles to go, FS's ATC was still holding me at 8300 ft, and when I was finally cleared for the approach, I was a good 4000 ft. above my optimal descent profile. This looked like a sure go-around but, listening to my inner instinct I said, "Oh no, they're not doing this to me again!" and I went ahead with the landing...

Here's an overview of what I had tu put up with (notice Kelowna's aircraft carrier errrr active runway in the background)

Trying to descend as fast as practical.... and, no, this is not a CRJ.

Not sure about what's left of the tires after such a hard landing.... looks like I'll be able to reuse that plane though

Here's the final approach from a different perspective. The whole cockpit was screaming at me as the poor little -700 begged for mercy.

And the touchdown... not that bad, but you could feel it was hard, thanks to Active Camera

The passengers in seats 8F and 21F were able to take a few snapshots of the final approach...

... however, both of them chickened out and ended up bracing, so, no photographs of the landing itself

This one was taken by the guy in 21F who was nearly crying as our plane left the runway in one piece.

Hahahaha . Love your captions !

Awesome screenshots Canadian
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I've done some pretty sharp descents myself. Either that or I've ended up overshooting the airport and making a sharp circle looking for it everything out getting too low and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianDC10
        ... however, both of them chickened out and ended up bracing, so, no photographs of the landing itself

HAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHA

Nice shots and captions to go with them
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

man thats good

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Cool shots.

Comment

LOL! A good landing is one that you can walk away from
              Click Here for my aviation photographs.
              No Frontiers

Comment

Great screenshots man!

Comment

hahaha... cool shots!
                  Christian Vlček Sullivan | Through The Fence Photography
                  Forever New Frontiers

Comment

You think that's crazy you should see my landing at CYBL in the 1900D with 1/2 m visibility!

Comment

ahhhhhh, the memories of crappy approaches/landings that this brings back...... imagine a 747-400, a 3000' runway, 1/4nm visibility, windshear, crosswinds, and a backcourse approach, oh, and I was at 4000' 2nm out I killed 412 "innocent" beavers
                      Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Yesterday I was going to fly an AC a343 from PDX to YVR. Visibility was 1/16th a mile at pdx (innacurate). I took off, I could barely see further than the panel. Rotated 10 degrees nose up and had a positive rate. But the nose kept going up so I tried to push it over but it wouldn't go. I get the stall warning and now I'm pointing straight up. Turns out 10 degrees nose up is too much for an a340. I had a tailstrike and the plane basically fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                          Yesterday I was going to fly an AC a343 from PDX to YVR. Visibility was 1/16th a mile at pdx (innacurate). I took off, I could barely see further than the panel. Rotated 10 degrees nose up and had a positive rate. But the nose kept going up so I tried to push it over but it wouldn't go. I get the stall warning and now I'm pointing straight up. Turns out 10 degrees nose up is too much for an a340. I had a tailstrike and the plane basically fell apart.
                          usually I use 8 degrees for an A330/340
                          Forever New Frontiers

Comment

Check your PM's [email protected]

Comment

How can i get the active camera program? Can any one relate?..thanks..btw, awsome shots. Got to put some up, but after my finals ...

cheeers!!!
                              happy simming!
                              ryan
                              Capt.A340-600

Its Not About Revenge:twisted: , Its About Redemption;) ...

8) The Crow: Stairway To Heaven8)

Comment

Working...
                              X