Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question I've Wanted To Ask For A While...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question I've Wanted To Ask For A While...

Hi simmers,

I've been meaning to ask this for over a year now. Okay, I've noticed that after around 5 minutes of shutting down the engines, all of the aircraft's power goes down completely, as though the APU has been shut down. No instruments in the cockpit, no lights, no nothing bascially. It doesn't matter whether I'm in a Cessna 152 or B747-400, I can guarantee it'll happen. The power comes back though once I start the engines, but that's not the point.

Now my question is, why does this happen and is there a way which I can prevent this from happening as it's getting kinda annoying. I have a feeling I'm not the only one with this problem.

Here's what I'm talking about if you're not sure -

Many thanks in advance,

Dale

I think your Avionics button is off. I never had something like that thou....

Comment

I always leave the avionics switched on. It's just that everything has automatically been switched off in the screenshot above.
      Last edited by G-DALE; 2006-02-19, 20:09.

Comment

Check for the avionics button, I have also the command Ctrl+ M as the Master Switch On/Off, sometimes it works. Remember that the FS planes are not the best ones and if you leave the plane with all the lights on, the battery will die soon

Comment

You obviously have read very little of this thread. Lights on or lights off, everything switches itself off after around 5 minutes, or so I thought....

After experimenting in a Posky B747 and B757 moments ago, the power stayed on in both aircraft. I switched lights and engines off, that was all (as I would do in any aircraft) and everything stayed switched on in both of them. I then did the same thing in an FFX B737 and as usual, everything went off!

Now work that one out!...

Dale
          Last edited by G-DALE; 2006-02-20, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
            You obviously have read very little of this thread. Lights on or lights off, everything switches itself off after around 5 minutes, or so I thought....

After experimenting in a Posky B747 and B757 moments ago, the power stayed on in both aircraft. I switched lights and engines off, that was all (as I would do in any aircraft) and everything stayed switched on in both of them. I then did the same thing in an FFX B737 and as usual, everything went off!

Now work that one out!...

Dale
            maybe theres some common glitch in the 737?

I honestly have no idea.

Comment

It seems to happen in any aircraft apart from a Posky, Chris.

Any ideas?

Comment

Dale,

If Its only happeneing in Poskey Aircraft then it must be something with the posky design.. Try sending them an email see if they respond with something.. Im in a Posky 744 now.... When I Land Ill see if the same thing happens... but I wont be landing for a while yet..

Kaz

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz
                  Im in a Posky 744 now.... When I Land Ill see if the same thing happens... but I wont be landing for a while yet..
                  .... Just over an hour out of SFO to LHR, that's gunna be a loooong while Let me know in the morning, tah

Comment

What you are experiencing is a major flaw in the way FS models the electrical system. To make it short, none of FS's default aircraft have an APU, so what happens is that the second you shut the engines off, you start draining your batteries and they do run dry pretty fast (as they should, but that's why you want an APU in the first place...).

What I used to do when I flew the default 737 was that I would turn the battery switch on only to listen to the ATIS, get my clearances etc and then switch it back off until I was ready to start the engines. That way, it would still have enough juice to power the starters...

An other option which I have never tried would be to tweak your aircraft.cfg files (most of them have an electrical section). I would think that by lowering the MaxAmpLoad and MinVoltage parameters for critical systems you could maybe get away with a longer battery life. But, I said maybe and have never tested this.

An even easier solution would be to find planes which come with their own APUs, or to register FSUIPC since it has a checkbox for "Unlimited battery life" made especially to fix your problem.

Good luck,

Comment

.... Just over an hour out of SFO to LHR, that's gunna be a loooong while Let me know in the morning, tah
                      2 hours now! even closer , haha Yeh ill let you know in the morning, Ill have the flight status on my MSN anyhoo...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz
                        2 hours now! even closer , haha Yeh ill let you know in the morning, Ill have the flight status on my MSN anyhoo...
                        That's what I always do when I fly - report in MSN status.

Comment

It seems to happen in any aircraft apart from a Posky, Chris.

Any ideas?
                          nope, but Mr DC10 seems to have an idea. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianDC10
                            What you are experiencing is a major flaw in the way FS models the electrical system. To make it short, none of FS's default aircraft have an APU, so what happens is that the second you shut the engines off, you start draining your batteries and they do run dry pretty fast (as they should, but that's why you want an APU in the first place...).

What I used to do when I flew the default 737 was that I would turn the battery switch on only to listen to the ATIS, get my clearances etc and then switch it back off until I was ready to start the engines. That way, it would still have enough juice to power the starters...

An other option which I have never tried would be to tweak your aircraft.cfg files (most of them have an electrical section). I would think that by lowering the MaxAmpLoad and MinVoltage parameters for critical systems you could maybe get away with a longer battery life. But, I said maybe and have never tested this.

An even easier solution would be to find planes which come with their own APUs, or to register FSUIPC since it has a checkbox for "Unlimited battery life" made especially to fix your problem.

Good luck,
                            CanadianDC10,

I had a look at the aircraft.cfg of the particular aircraft which I'm having trouble with (FFX B737) and couldn't find any evidence of an electrical section in there. So I went in to the Posky B757 aircraft.cfg file(the aircraft which I successfully tested earlier) and found that it contained an electrical section.

I then copied and pasted it into the FFX B737 aircraft.cfg file, booted up flight sim and sat at the gate with the engines shut down for around 10 minutes and the power stayed switched on Problem solved

Many thanks for your help,

Dale

Comment

Yay thats solved! Im going back to bed, only got up to land

Comment

Working...
                              X