Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmiChris2k5
    What is squawkbox?
    It is a client used to connect the pilots to the Air Traffic Controllers, without it, you can'y connect to the VATSIM ATC servers. www.squawkbox.ca
    For a real-world flightplan, could I just think of one from memory and enter it into Flight Sim without having to download FS Nav or anything?
    Yes, you could do that, but the better way is to get one from either www.simroutes.com, or http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/. If the ATC doesn't like your flight plan, he is allowed to change it.

What is FS Nav?
    It is essentially like a cross between SimpleFMC and the default FS Flight Planner

I can be an air traffic controller as well as a pilot can't I?
    Yes you can, but you need to sign up for Air Traffic Control Training first
    Is Vatsim the best or are there others?
    there are a few alternatives the VATSIM, but VATSIM is by far the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
      Yes you can, but you need to sign up for Air Traffic Control Training first.
      What does training consist of and how long does it last?
      DTVAirport

Comment

Training depends on where you join. For example in VATSIM-UK you join a RTS (Regional Training Scheme) and you start off as an OBS (Observer). For example I'm a member of the Scottish & NI RTS.

Read over the manuals on the VATSIM-UK site (www.vatsim-uk.org) and then try to pass your OBS - S1 exam (Observer to Student 1). It's a 20 question exam taken online and you need to get either 16/17 (I can't exactly remember)

Once you pass that you can get mentoring. That's when an experienced controller on VATSIM will help you on a particular position and point out what you can improve. Once you're good enough you get validated and can control that position on your own. In Scotland & NI an S1 can control GND and TWR.

Once you're good enough you can go for your written and practical exam up to S3. Wen you've passed that you can control APP.

After that there is C1 and C3 ratings.

Originally posted by Burrd255314
        will the xboxhighway.com one work?

Can you let me know a bit baout it?

Cheers,

Jay
        It should work. I own the domain xboxhighway.com and could set-up a redirect so that any e-mails into [email protected] (something being a username) would be redirected to another e-mail account.

Comment

wow!

can you set one up for me then?

Cheers

Jay
          Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

Comment

Just go to IVAO. They'll take anyone. Litterally.

Comment

Is IVAO any good then? I'm thinking I might start out on IVAO and when I get some XP upgrade to Vatsim?
              DTVAirport

Comment

Is IVAO any good then? I'm thinking I might start out on IVAO and when I get some XP upgrade to Vatsim?
                IVAO is much bigger in east europe, but IMO VATSIM is still much better, you may as well start with the best.

Comment

I don't think I really should talk bad about IVAO, as I've never used it, but I've heard they'll have 12 year olds running things who don't know what they're talking about. I heard of one "controller" asking a pilot what wilco meant.
                  VATSIM is nice, but sometimes I think it's a little too serious for my tastes. I use neither.

Comment

Seriously, VATSIM is definitly better IMO, much more "professional" but as Sam and I found out, sometimes VATSIM controllers can be rather entertaining

Aside from that, VATSIM gets about 346742376346073451x more traffic in ATC and Pilots as IVAO (in my experience) does, so it makes for a more realistic experience.

Originally posted by JordanD
                    I don't think I really should talk bad about IVAO, as I've never used it, but I've heard they'll have 12 year olds running things who don't know what they're talking about. I heard of one "controller" asking a pilot what wilco meant.
                    VATSIM is nice, but sometimes I think it's a little too serious for my tastes. I use neither.
                    please leave this discussion as you have nothing to contribute.

[/vacanada.org forum moderator]

Comment

Well I couldn't sign-up for VATSIM with my Windows Live Mail or Google Mail accounts so in the short term I'm with IVAO.

I think both websites need a serious overhaul.
                      DTVAirport

Comment

Vatsim is top notch, I dont think you can beat it. The reason I think everyone flies online is to have a sense of realsim and to be serious. ATC is very nice and its fun when you get the jokers. If you just want to "Buzz around" or just fool around, play offline. Or play on vatsim when theres no ATC online

Comment

Well I couldn't sign-up for VATSIM with my Windows Live Mail or Google Mail accounts so in the short term I'm with IVAO.

I think both websites need a serious overhaul.
                          whats your internet provider? they'll usually give you some free e-mail addresses that will work for vatsim.

Comment

Freeserve - which then changed to Wanadoo which then was bought by Orange.
                            DTVAirport

Comment

Freeserve - which then changed to Wanadoo which then was bought by Orange.
                              Then you should have emails with them; [email protected]

Comment

[sarcasm]Yea, funny guy![/Sarcasm]

With regards to the e-mail address that comes with the ISP, I do have one, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it, I'd be going back to the late 90's if I attemted to look for it, I'd have to go so deep into my computers hard drive I'd get lost!
                                DTVAirport

Comment

Working...
                                X