FSX Performance on my computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSX Performance on my computer?

Hey everyone, sort of a selfish topic, but I was wondering how FSX would run on my computer with my specifications, I know you guys would know more than a guess from me... I'm just trying to contemplate on buying FSX or hanging onto FS2004? Thanks! Here are the specs (it's the UND laptop if anyone is familiar with it.)

Model is Dell D820

1.7 GHz Intel Core Duo Centrino processor with 1 gig RAM

80 gig hard drive

Four USB 2.0 ports

Dedicated NVidia G72M on 256-MB video memory

Integrated stereo sound with headset and microphone jacks

9 cell battery

Modem

Intel 10/100/1000 wired network

802.11g Wireless

It will definitely run. You won't want to turn up all the graphics effects (scenery, water, buildings) to "very high" but on medium settings you should be fine.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

ya, i've got that same set up, with some of the tweaks you find on avsim and such i get pretty good performance with medium to high settings.

definatly get it.

Comment

what kind of tweaks?

Comment

Related to performance...which video card would be suggested to run basically, with a non outstanding quality but nothing too cheap and not too expensive FSX ???

Comment

yeah, definately get it. I was at first a bit underwelmed with the "default" settings they started me out with, but once you tinker with a few things its pretty badass.

Comment

if you look around the forums at flightsim.com and avsim.com they have some tweaks you can do to your config file that reduces the variety of the autogen. That's what really hammers the FPS on my laptop, anyway.

The way I understand it, the autogen, when it puts up all those nice trees and building, has tons of different variaties, and the tweak reduces that variety a bit. That's the one I've found has the most effect on frame rates.

Comment

A guide on tweaking the game can be found here: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_FPS_Guide

Comment

Here's a way to get some better frames too, it's an update for Direct x that came out after flight sim was shipped. It helped mine out a bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

I don't know what is up with FSX, but I have 1.5gb of memory, 128mb Graphics card, 3.0 P4, with more then enough hard drive space and its running like molassis, i have the settings all on medium low too, and its running horribly, it apparently is using 1.09gb of memory to run the thing, ive tried everything and cant get it to run any better.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                      I don't know what is up with FSX, but I have 1.5gb of memory, 128mb Graphics card, 3.0 P4, with more then enough hard drive space and its running like molassis, i have the settings all on medium low too, and its running horribly, it apparently is using 1.09gb of memory to run the thing, ive tried everything and cant get it to run any better.
                      What is your gfx card exactly? Just wondering.. So far the only real slow down I can find is the GPU and the video cards memory.

I have two XFX GeForce 7900GT cards coming tomorrow. I'll see what happens with those. The new ForceWare drivers have made a bnit of a difference in FSX as well. I think those optimizations may only be for SLI setups though..

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                        What is your gfx card exactly? Just wondering.. So far the only real slow down I can find is the GPU and the video cards memory.

I have two XFX GeForce 7900GT cards coming tomorrow. I'll see what happens with those. The new ForceWare drivers have made a bnit of a difference in FSX as well. I think those optimizations may only be for SLI setups though..

ATI Radeon... I am also running Windows vista.

Comment

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Comment

I've just ordered a GeForce 7900GTO...let's see if that speeds things up as my 6500 wasn't good enough apparently

I'm gonna try FSX on my dual core VAIO laptop too...FS9 is running like a dream on that right now.

Comment

Uh thanks, i know what the minimums are especially when mine easily beat the minimum, and beat 4/5 of Microsoft's recommended, and comes very close to the "Best" from microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                              X