Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILS Landing Question

Morning all,

I've had major overruns in my last two Flight Simulator flights, the first being a Boeing 777-300 trip from Dublin - London Heathrow, the second a Learjet 45 trip from London Luton - Brussels.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to the Autopilot master switch and the Flight Director switch, I just need confirmation that this is the problem really.

I know that just prior to touch down you're supposed to switch off the A/P master switch. When I did this in the Boeing 777, it was fine, no problem, however when I did this is the Learjet, the nose dropped, I think 'pitched down' is the term I'm looking for.

Also, I switched the F/D switch off as well as the A/P master switch on both occasions, I didn't notice so much in the T7 flight, but with the Learjet, the APP light went out on the autopilot control panel, whereas it stayed on when I switched the A/P master switch off, so I assume by switching the F/D switch off I'd practically switched the ILS off?

Can someone please confirm that this is what I'm doing wrong?

Regards.
    DTVAirport

no. F/D is the flight director; the two bars or the chevron that appear on your horizon indicator. I'm not quite sure I understand your question... your complaining about bad landings and too fast speeds when landing?

Anyways, what you wanna do at about 200 feet above ground level is cut the autopilot, autothrottle, and any other autoflight systems and hand fly it to the ground, using reverses, brakes and lift dumpers (spoilers, airbrakes) accordingly.

Comment

If you're running off the end of the runway your problem is too much speed. What speed are you landing at? Usually 140-150 knots is fast enough. Even a little slower in the Learjet. Look in the kneeboard reference thing, it'll usually have some approximate speeds in there for takeoff, landing, and all that.

Comment

I've landed at the same speed all my ILS-landing life and never had overruns before. I usually land at 160 knots.
        DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by DTVAirport
          I've landed at the same speed all my ILS-landing life and never had overruns before. I usually land at 160 knots.
          land slower.

160 is overkill 90% of the time

aim for 140/150 depending on load

Comment

Just done Madrid Barajas to Frankfurt Main in the B744, was a lot better, even though I landed short, and slightly to the right of the runway, I stopped surprisingly quickly.

It's strange how I'm following the exact same procedures as I've always done, yet I've only experienced problems in my last three flights? Perhaps it's because I've made the jump from the B734 to next-generation aircraft, and I'm following the B734 ILS Landing procedure?

Regards.
            DTVAirport

Comment

Originally posted by DTVAirport
              Just done Madrid Barajas to Frankfurt Main in the B744, was a lot better, even though I landed short, and slightly to the right of the runway, I stopped surprisingly quickly.

It's strange how I'm following the exact same procedures as I've always done, yet I've only experienced problems in my last three flights? Perhaps it's because I've made the jump from the B734 to next-generation aircraft, and I'm following the B734 ILS Landing procedure?

Regards.
              the procedure for an ils landing, aside from speeds should be more or less the same from aircraft type to type

Comment

I just want to say ty to Chris@YYZ i just did my first near perfect landing in a Virgin A340-300(Posky) following what you have said in this thread i flew EGCC-LIRF

Comment

Originally posted by FatGit
                  i flew EGCC-LIRF
                  LIRF

The steps that I follow to do a perfect landing are: speed as low as possible (but not too low to avoid stalling) around 125-145kias; spoilers autoarm; autobreaks set at 3 (sometimes 2 depends ot load); flaps always full; light falre on touchdown; reversers are used on 75% of my landings. Always works for me. other than that follow Chris's instructions

Comment

Working...
                  X