My first online flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first online flight

So after me simming for around 7 years now (well professionally for only 3) I decided that flying offline is no longer fun. And so I want to start flying online. Of course on vatsim. Now I tried vatsim before, was just standing on the ramp and watching what's going on. Never really flew. Now I wanna fly and have few questions to our experienced pilots here.

- Do I have to manually find and switch ATC frequencies (i.e. ground, clearance, tower etc.) or will the ATC tell me ?
    - Do I use standart airline callsigns and ATC talk similiar to the one in FS ? (i.e. "LOT zero-five-niner requesting take off clearance, runway 33")
    - When landing will the ATC guide me all the way to the localizer like in FS or do I have to fly to the airpor myself (using charts etc.) ?
    - What do I do when there is no ATC online ? Just fly without ATC ?

Please answer those questins and thanks in advance !

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
    (well professionally for only 3)
    You get paid to do this?!
    - Do I have to manually find and switch ATC frequencies (i.e. ground, clearance, tower etc.) or will the ATC tell me ?
    You'll not only be told by ATC, but you can see the freqs on the client (squawkbox, FSInn, etc.)
    - Do I use standart airline callsigns and ATC talk similiar to the one in FS ? (i.e. "LOT zero-five-niner requesting take off clearance, runway 33")
    Yes, you'll use radio procedures very similiar to those in the real world. Mind you, just like in real life, if you say "Lot Zero-Ninety-Five, ready to go, rwy 33", no one will have a conniption.
    - When landing will the ATC guide me all the way to the localizer like in FS or do I have to fly to the airpor myself (using charts etc.) ?
    You'll get vectors assuming that there is someone to vector you.
    - What do I do when there is no ATC online ? Just fly without ATC ?
    Unicom.

-Mitch

Comment

Aight thanks a lot man !!! So my first flight will probably be something rather short on LOT's 737. Probably Warsaw to Moscow.
      One more:

Can I get kicked out by ATC ?

Comment

Aight thanks a lot man !!! So my first flight will probably be something rather short on LOT's 737. Probably Warsaw to Moscow.
        One more:

Yes, but only if you're being retarded, a la 'shooting down' other airplanes, being a general pain in the a$$, that kinda thing.
        And a tip for your wellbeing and for courtesy:
        Be sure not to connect while sitting on the runway.

Comment

Haha ok thanks man Wish me luck will do the flight on friday.

Comment

Someone told me that you cannot use AI traffic with vatsim. It's sad no seeing much traffic unless vatsim guys show up only not as many as you see. You have to remove AI Traffic a whole thing before you are using VATSIM. I guess not sure. Make sure you save back up all AI traffic. As for me, I don't like VATSIM like I said about AI Traffic. It's kinda of boring. LOL!

Stuart

Comment

You don't have to uninstall all of it. It just doesn't show up when you're online.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Ohh yea,and be carful not to start on the runway.One time i did and i got in the way of a 777 coming in to land.

I got kicked off by the ATC.And i havent flown online for months now.
                BH Airlines A319

Comment

Originally posted by Asmir Hamidovic
                  Ohh yea,and be carful not to start on the runway.One time i did and i got in the way of a 777 coming in to land.

I got kicked off by the ATC.And i havent flown online for months now.
                  If it were me, first I'd have given you an earful, then let a supervisor kick you out
                  That must be my biggest pet peeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                    If it were me, first I'd have given you an earful, then let a supervisor kick you out
                    That must be my biggest pet peeve.
                    That is just a simple error, is not that bad, I mean, you as a controller, you are not gonna call a SUP just because of that, not big deal. I have around 1600 hours as pilot and 180 or 190 as controller and that had happend to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zaguate1
                      That is just a simple error, is not that bad, I mean, you as a controller, you are not gonna call a SUP just because of that, not big deal. I have around 1600 hours as pilot and 180 or 190 as controller and that had happend to me.
                      But it's merely careless!
                      I don't care if you're at the gate, on the ramp, on the taxiway, hell, even the grass, when you connect! But it's really not hard to not connect on the runway.

Comment

Working...
                      X