Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating an ILS

Hi all

I am doing my own airport with AFX Afcad what i want to know is how can i make ATC recognise this ILS as when i am on approach to it all ATC says is "Visual approach to runway 04L" i cant for the life of me get this to work right

Sorry for all the questions

cheers
    Alan

Did you try requesting a different approach, instead of the visual? If I don't like the approach I am given, I request ILS or VOR or NDB or a parallel runway that has one of those.

I wish I worked for Delta
    AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

Hey guys,
      sorry for the ignorance but what does ILS stand for and what does it mean? when i do IFR flights the controller tells me how to get the runway and then after contacting the tower i'm on my own, is that different?
      There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

Alan,

I know it's probably slightly annoying them saying visual rather than ILS but you could jus leave it as it is. It won't effect the approach with that crappy ATC so you should be ok if the ILS is tuned in right.

Originally posted by QFCPT747
        Hey guys,
        sorry for the ignorance but what does ILS stand for and what does it mean? when i do IFR flights the controller tells me how to get the runway and then after contacting the tower i'm on my own, is that different?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_Landing_System
        Last edited by RingwaySam; 2007-12-28, 02:32. Reason: Wrong URL

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
          sweet thnx,
          now do i have to work that out in my head or is there a way of jus pressing a few buttons and vualah? Because i am not a trained pilot so i have no idea what half of those things mean, thnx for your help again.
          There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

On a more simple aircraft (that still has an ILS reciever) all you need is the ILS frequency. You set this into one of the NAV Radios (It will be something like 109.1 or 111.9 or in that rough range). In the CRS of the NAV you set the Runway QDM (IE the runways course). This depends on the actual runway, so you need to know what it actually is. Its printed on approach charts.

When you get within an appropriate range and position relative to the ILS, you then fly the aircraft to centre the dots (or bars, or however it is represented on the aircraft display) and just fly that all the way to the minima (then continue that path to the ground.)

If the aircraft has APPROACH mode as part of its autopilot, you should be able to just fly the aircraft until it is almost centred on the ILS (the dots/bars in the middle) then select APP. It should follow it... but I don't know how accurately FS represents this part of it as I'm not really a user these days.

Simple?

No, I didn't think so.

This is a basic way of flying an ILS... in an actual aeroplane there are a lot more checks and things that have to be done, and there are tricks for flying accurately... but thats the basic idea!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by QFCPT747
              sweet thnx,
              now do i have to work that out in my head or is there a way of jus pressing a few buttons and vualah? Because i am not a trained pilot so i have no idea what half of those things mean, thnx for your help again.
              Hardly any of us on here are trained pilots, it just takes practice. If you go on Avsim and search ILS Tutorial you'll probably find something to download which will help.

Sam

Comment

I found out how to use the ILS APPROACH button on the autopilot through a VA learning center (can't remember which one). It had pictures and everything.

I wish I worked for Delta
                AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

Thx guys

I dont have a problem using an ILS approach its just annoying that i cant get ATC to recognise it trivial it maybe lol but that's just me i also keep getting told off when i start descending via ILS coz i am below the Alt they told me to be at they then tell me to go around but i land anyway lol

Comment

Is it IFR conditions when you are trying to land?
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                      Is it IFR conditions when you are trying to land?
                      Yes Tanner it is

Comment

just thought i would let people that might be interested know that i have come across a program called ils_gps_approach_creator_v1 it makes ATC recognise ILS runways that you make that wern't in FS before ad it works a treat

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF
                          just thought i would let people that might be interested know that i have come across a program called ils_gps_approach_creator_v1 it makes ATC recognise ILS runways that you make that wern't in FS before ad it works a treat

Where did you get this from website? I have tried avsim is not there. Please tell us more specfic where you got this from?

Thanks,

Stuart

Comment

Hi Stuart

it is on avsim

Flight simulators premier web site. Freeware, forums, community; it all comes together at AVSIM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanF
                              OK, Thanks. I don't know why avsim is stink bad search engine. They don't get good searching on the site. I have seen many times missing. I found that someone mispelled on comment. I searched right spelled it won't find it. LOL! I will write to the staff of avsim to get improve search engine better. I think search did not get topic the only is on comment. I need to search anything on the site either topic or comment. I use advance search but it doesn't help.

Stuart

Comment

Working...
                              X