Fuel Crossfeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Crossfeed

This may sound like a stupid question, but what exactly does the fuel crossfeed do? I was just wondering under what circumstances would you use the crossfeed?

I wish I worked for Delta
    AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

It pulls fuel from both sources (wings) at once. Basically if you leave it on one for a while you're going to lose alot of weight from one side and there have even been emergencies declared (smaller planes) where the pilot forgot to switch and thought he had run out of fuel, when his whole other wing was full. Basically it pulls the fuel evenly from both sources. Some planes however do not have the cross feed so it is important to keep your eye on it.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
      It pulls fuel from both sources (wings) at once. Basically if you leave it on one for a while you're going to lose alot of weight from one side and there have even been emergencies declared (smaller planes) where the pilot forgot to switch and thought he had run out of fuel, when his whole other wing was full. Basically it pulls the fuel evenly from both sources. Some planes however do not have the cross feed so it is important to keep your eye on it.
      Even more embarrasing when the pilot actually makes an emergency landing, crashes, kills somebody/breaks the plane, and then the investigators find he had another tank full of fuel.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the 737NG FSX cockpit and wondering what use it would serve.

I wish I worked for Delta
        AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

Originally posted by AVLWATCHER
          Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the 737NG FSX cockpit and wondering what use it would serve.
          On the 737, and all twin engine aircraft the engines feed fuel from tanks associated with that engine. Additional fuel may be carried in alternate tanks that is shared by both engines. When an engine fails, the fuel normally used by the failed engine is available for use in the operating engine by using the Xfeed system.
          Don
          Standard practice for managers around the world:
          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

And if your airplane is made by a bunch of French-Canadians the crossfeed is called crossflow, 'cause that's just so much sexier somehow.

Comment

Another reason to use crossfeed maybe due to one engine being older than the other. This isnt unheard of on airliners. As they rank up hours, engines start to run hotter and burn more fuel. On a long flight, the difference may be significant enough to open the crossfeeds.

Comment

Working...
              X