Will FSX work on my Toshiba laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will FSX work on my Toshiba laptop?

Hi all, first post, long time lurker, anyway, I just got a new laptop, a Toshiba satalite dual core, 2 megs of ram, and would love to install Microsoft Flight Sim X. Some "pros" said it will work, some said no, due to something in the laptop to help keep the screen level...........never heard of that before. Anyone here running fsx on their laptop? Results? I would hate to try it, you know $50 and once it's open, no returns.
    THANKS!
    JPL

Usually laptops are crap for 3D unless it's built for it (DELL XPS).
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

If you have to ask, then no...

some said no, due to something in the laptop to help keep the screen level...........never heard of that before.
      Those people at *insert favorate big box store name here* are hardly pros. Most of them don't have a clue, like the guy who told you what I quoted.

Whether it will work or not depends on your hardware. The econo laptops that are sold at *insert favorate big box store name here* aren't designed for gaming, and probably don't even have a dedicated video card.

Comment

I personally wouldent take the risk mate, unless you can borrow or hire a copy to test it out.

To do the game justice you really do need a powerful desktop machine, at least 512mb dedicated graphics & 2gb ram. I haven't played the game but have seen video of how intense the graphics are, it's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
          I personally wouldent take the risk mate, unless you can borrow or hire a copy to test it out.

To do the game justice you really do need a powerful desktop machine, at least 512mb dedicated graphics & 2gb ram. I haven't played the game but have seen video of how intense the graphics are, it's incredible.
          Yeah, those are basically the specs of my system. And with everything maxed out, it still struggles. IMO FS2004 is just fine, i don't even bother with FSX.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
            Yeah, those are basically the specs of my system. And with everything maxed out, it still struggles. IMO FS2004 is just fine, i don't even bother with FSX.
            Is there any flight sim out there that would be ok for my system? Oh I forgot to mention my o/s is Vista premium.

Comment

Originally posted by JPL
              Is there any flight sim out there that would be ok for my system? Oh I forgot to mention my o/s is Vista premium.
              I can't say for sure without knowing your exact system specs.

Comment

# 15.4"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) TruBrite LCD screen
                # Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2330 operating at 1.6GHz
                # 1MB L2 cache
                # Up to 533GB frontside bus
                # 2.0GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2 x 1.0GB), the maximum memory capacity
                # 160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
                # DVD SuperMulti drive with Double Layer support (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD±R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)
                # Realtek® 802.11b/g wireless LAN
                # 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN port
                # 56K V.92 data/fax modem
                # 2 USB 2.0 ports
                # ExpressCard/54 slot: also compatible with ExpressCard/34
                # Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with up to 128MB to 358MB shared memory
                # Windows-compatible audio with Intel High Definition Audio; built-in stereo speakers
                # Headphone output jack
                # 6-cell lithium-ion battery (4000 mAh); 75W universal AC adapter
                # Dimensions: 1 9/16"H x 14 3/10"W x 10 1/2"D
                # Weight: 6.0 lbs
                # Windows Vista home premium home edition o/s

Comment

Yeah, with an integrated graphics card, don't even think about it. That thing isn't designed to play games. Looks like a decent system for general computing however.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                    Yeah, with an integrated graphics card, don't even think about it. That thing isn't designed to play games. Looks like a decent system for general computing however.
                    As my daughter say's: "PICKLES!"

Comment

Integrated graphics are the killer of most games. I used to run FS 2002 on a laptop and it ran just fine, granted it had 32mb of video.

Comment

Yup...the graphics kill it. Expect up to 6 fps max.

It really pisses me off when the "Major PC stores" advertise ....

drum roll....trumpet fanfare....

" Dual core, high speed supercalifragilistic 1gb RAM, 2 terabyte hard drive, major disco style sound system sounds, wide screen high resolution monitor.....and !....er !....( whisper ) 512mb INTEL integrated graphics ( that struggles to run Vista, never mind anything else )...and all this for just £399-99p !!

...and all this sold by numpties who haven't got a clue about what the customer REALLY needs.

And then they try to sell you the MOST expensive "Extended Warranty" you ever saw. If a computer is going to go big time, expensive wrong then 99% of the time its going to do it within the manufacturers' warranty period. If you do want extended warranty then do a Google search for a third party company who will insure just about every electrical item in your house for the same price.

Having said that, I bought my latest tower unit from a well known major. The difference was that I knew what I wanted, what I wanted to spend, what accessories I didn't want and started to walk away when they wouldn't sell me what I wanted for what I was prepared to pay. I didn't get halfway to the door before they knocked £150 off !......Mind you, it did help to know that the tower unit I wanted was the last one they had in stock !!

I spent £700 on a machine that gives me 30 fps solid in FSX. That included MS Office 2007 which itself would cost over £120.

Do some research then haggle the bastards down, that's my motto. !!!
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I know a couple of guys who run flight sims on a laptop, only difference is they run FS9 and Winxp. I know a guy who has a Dell xsp. He took Windows Vista off it and installed XP, made a ton of difference. One thing you will soon realise is any flightsim is extremely graphics hungry. IMO, get a desktop, more room for expansion, more slots, more options.
                          You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

I have a dual cpu AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64
                            - 2.2 GHz Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop
                            - 2.5 GB RAM (recently, was 1 GB)
                            - standard integrated graphics hardware
                            - Vista
                            - FS2004 (FS9.1)

Runs very well at full extreme graphics. Got over 30 fps for some scenery; even with only 1 GB RAM.

If FSX is too slow you can reduce the FSX graphics from normal (or extreme) and bring it down a tad.

Comment

Working...
                            X