New to FSX - Video Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to FSX - Video Help Please

I'm new to FSX. Just got it installed today.

I've got a dual monitor setup. I'm trying to get the view from the cockpit on one screen and the instrument panel on the other. I've managed to get the outside view working OK but for the instrument panel the best that I can do is to choose the 2D cockpit view and then drag instrument panels to block the windows. Is there a better way? What am I missing?

If it is relevant I'm flying the standard B738. Again, is there a better option that I should be looking at?

One other question... I'm familiar with the basic flight instruments but the MFP, GPS, etc are very confusing. Is there any documentation which describes the basics such as how to set up for an ILS approach?

Sorry that these questions are so basic. Appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks, Chris

Originally posted by BackOfThePlane View Post
    I'm new to FSX. Just got it installed today.

I've got a dual monitor setup. I'm trying to get the view from the cockpit on one screen and the instrument panel on the other. I've managed to get the outside view working OK but for the instrument panel the best that I can do is to choose the 2D cockpit view and then drag instrument panels to block the windows. Is there a better way? What am I missing?

If it is relevant I'm flying the standard B738. Again, is there a better option that I should be looking at?

One other question... I'm familiar with the basic flight instruments but the MFP, GPS, etc are very confusing. Is there any documentation which describes the basics such as how to set up for an ILS approach?

Sorry that these questions are so basic. Appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks, Chris
    Unfortunately, I'm not super great at dual-monitor set-ups, so I think what you have is probably the best you can do. You can try updating your video card drivers at nvidia.com or ati.com, depending on which brand of video card you have. Also, playing around with the graphics settings might help.

As for the ILS approach, in your 7378 cockpit, the best advice is to use the map provided in FSX to find your airport, if you can't find the button, you can always use Google. Once you know the radio frequency, enter it into the radio pannel under "NAV" and press the APR button on your autopilot. Once you are inside 25 miles of the runway, a runway identifier will appear in the bottom of your MFD, such as KDEN 16.0. Meaning Denver Runway 16L in 16.0 miles. At around 5-10 miles from the runway the plane will begin to descend automatically and you can disconnect the autopilot and land manually or leave the autopilot on and you will perform an autoland.

At 15.0 miles away, I generally slow down to about 165 knots, at 10 miles away, I normally slow down to 155 knots, and when the plane begins to descend, I normally slow down to 150 or 145 knots and lower the landing gear.

The highest I have ever disconnected the AP on landing is 1,600 feet, the lowest was 100 feet. Unfortunately, I have never done a "full" autolanding.

Here's a good to link to find ILS frequencies:

http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/DEN.htm. The site will tell you the ILS localizer frequencies of non-US airprot as well.
    Sorry for the wordy reply, I hope it helps. If it doesn't clear things up, please tell me.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

maybe you need a program called "widefs" to display the instruments on one monitor and external views on the other. Its available from any of the flight sim websites. I think you will probably have to pay a licence fee.
      To do a autoland you need to be slightly below the glide slope after selecting the ils frequency and clicking on APP. This has generally worked for me but i dont use it much cos its a lot more real to land it manually.
      You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

Working...
      X