Microsoft FSX Steam Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft FSX Steam Edition

I just downloaded Microsoft FSX Steam Edition but i can't complete the mission " ROME-NAPLES AIRLINE RUN"
    So i need some help
    Can someone plz help me through????????????????

This video might help... https://youtu.be/1A3KhmR48HI
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      This video might help... https://youtu.be/1A3KhmR48HI
      By 700' he's at 260kts. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
        Yes. Seems like quite a powerful take off. But the Fiumicino 16R is long enough. Without having tried this route yet, I'd say, even my avatar is able to reach that performance on that rwy, given that his a/c and my a/c are (almost) empty (?). Well, that video seems like an inspiration for the weekend...

I have found out some detail concerning that video:
        aircraft: A321 (default fsx)
        dep: Fiumicino 16R
        arr: Naples
        flight mode enroute: none (manually flown from t/o to the touchdown)

Does the A321 default fsx provide something like flight mode choice enroute?
        [That, of course, is rather a Boeing question. But what do you expect? ]

Afaik, until today there is not the semipro A321 simulator, because nearly 100% of the functions in an Airbus are generated by a computer,
        e.g. stall recovery (within Airbus limits).
        And nobody until today was willing to invest time (!) and money to create an A321 bedroom simulator which can only be distinguished from the real thing by
        g-force, which typically in your bedroom should not exceed 1g ...
        Or am I wrong?
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
          1) Your airliners, in general, are indeed powerful.
          2) To date, a flat screen in front of you does not give you the full visual effect of flying, and I often find I don't like seeing nothing but blue sky...so, keep the nose down a bit so you can see some 'scenery'.
          3) What's that rule of thumb about pitch and speed?

Ironingly, flying a game, by the book, can sometimes be a bit boring (cue the German shepherd jokes)...Instead, just pretend it's one huge and powerful J-3 Cub and let your speed build. (I find that it's important to turn off the 'aircraft damage from overspeed' setting). At other times, (like an ILS), attention to details like attitude and airspeed is a bit more entertaining.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            1) Your airliners, in general, are indeed powerful.
            2) To date, a flat screen in front of you does not give you the full visual effect of flying, and I often find I don't like seeing nothing but blue sky...so, keep the nose down a bit so you can see some 'scenery'.
            3) What's that rule of thumb about pitch and speed?

Ironingly, flying a game, by the book, can sometimes be a bit boring (cue the German shepherd jokes)...Instead, just pretend it's one huge and powerful J-3 Cub and let your speed build. (I find that it's important to turn off the 'aircraft damage from overspeed' setting). At other times, (like an ILS), attention to details like attitude and airspeed is a bit more entertaining.
            In #4, I thought that this would be an inspiration for the weekend, exactly two weeks ago. And I have to confess that I haven't found yet the weekend to try this flight.
            1) Your airliners? I don't own one... But probably... I know what you mean, and that sentence should not become my running gag. So, what do you fly?
            I assume that you use fsx, as you know one nice setting that can be turned off.
            The J Cub is a bird that I've never seen in the air as a spotter. Must be like.. a Cadillac de Ville Convertible 1964 with crosswind in your hair, known from that movie. Must be quite fresh in a J Cub, but probably very interesting. Does it have a heating, or in other words, would you fly it on a cold winter morning?

2) +1, I agree. Even in a Virtual Cockpit, e.g. the Baron 58 fsx, you won't get the same as in the real thing. Have you ever tried to use the light switches in a Baron 58 fsx Virtual Cockpit? I always go back to 2D for the lights, which is infact a flat issue.

3) There is no such rule. And as I mentioned earlier, I am not the perfect person to answer questions concerning an Airbus A321. But I can give you a very short overview of what I do before I start the engines (in a Boeing simulator).
            a) Origin. Where does your flight calculation start.
            b) Departure and arrival. "Departure" might vary from where you take off, if the transition is short and you know it by heart. Example: Origin on my home airport, and the calculated flight starts at Rhein/Main. That's possible in a Boeing, and it's a good thing. You don't have to write another flight plan where only a few miles had to be added.
            c) fuel. That's where 'No such rule' is most important. It depends on wind, temperature, altitude, temperature changes even if you maintain alt, pax and cargo on board, et cetera.
            Even if I tried to fly Fiumicino - Naples in an A321 and I were successful, you'd have to know all the weights (111 pax or 211, or 159 pax?) and every alt at every second of the flight, ..
            if that is what you wanted. But wouldn't that be boring?

So, I don't quite agree with you, fsx is a little bit more than just a game, or, at least it can be. It depends on the settings.

Isn't there something like a briefing? There should be something like an introduction, yes, also in a fsx mission, something like: 'You sit in an A321, with 178 pax on board, LIRF gate xx, all engines are running. Your destination is Naples. Fuel has been ordered. Taxi to 16R via ... '

And there are introductions for fsx missions, as I assume. The missions are not necessarily that complete as I sometimes wish (what has been ordered and what do I still have to do), but, as you said, it is a game, isn't it ..

The atc.dll also has to be treated with caution. Especially on your home airport you sometimes know more than this program.

PS: And I at least tried to be short...
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-11-24, 20:39. Reason: Excuse me.

Comment

Hm. It was not as I expected. But given that I've never in my life used an A321 default fsx until today, very interesting.

1) This A321 default fsx is powerful. If you take it as you're given it in this mission, you'll need much less than 100% thrust for a powerful take off. For a relaxed and still accurate t/o even less than that. But one thing is for sure:
              -- do NOT use this forum entry (#7) for a comparison with real world navigation! --

Default fsx aircraft are strongly simplified, and this is especially true for the A321 default fsx. Example: In contrast to the Baron 58, it does not tell you the vertical speed in exact numbers, which somehow leaves me speechless...

2) Next example. A computer screen does not have to be a bad thing, the A321 cockpit is full of screens. But I thought that you start the mission at the gate.
              Everything, and I mean everything, has been done for you. You only have to center on the line and off you go.
              Fuel calculation & order -- done.
              Flightplan and Frequencies -- done preflight, frequencies en route operated by the second pilot (!).
              Pax and Cargo -- a mystery. Is this an empty flight? It almost feels like one, with such an acceleration. The page where I could look that up is blocked in the mission, so, nobody knows.

I see two issues that are a disadvantage for the A321 fsx, even in contrast to the Baron 58 fsx: the fsx jet does not provide a pfd, or something that I'd call helpful. Basic information is missing, e.g. vertical speed in exact numbers, or, at least shown on an instrument with numbers - like in the Baron 58.
              And the letters on the jet dashboard are awful, that means useless or almost not readable. I wonder that Toulouse gave the original type name for that ... jet.

Thus, I'll stick with the Baron 58 default fsx, which by far wins this short comparison.

Precision Manuals is not a perfect thing in all aspects. Once in it, you know what's good. They're almost too good. And you know that this mission is not able to show a complete image of the real thing, not by far.
              So, is the take off thrust in this mission close to reality? I don't know, but I'd rather say no. This mission is the 'game mode' of fsx, yes.

Comment

Answers below.

Your airliners? I don't own one..."Your" was referring to ATL crew who OPERATES an airliner- they generally seem to be powerful.

Does it have a heating, or in other words, would you fly it on a cold winter morning? My MSFS J-3 cub has a heated cockpit and is comfortable on a cold morning.

2) +1, I agree...Glad to know that others enjoy the visual aspects.

3) There is no such rule. And as I mentioned earlier, I am not the perfect person to answer questions concerning an Airbus A321. But I can give you a very short overview of what I do before I start the engines (in a Boeing simulator). Actually, there IS such a rule, and you have now exposed yourself as someone enamored with procedure at the expense of basic airmanship fundamentals. Spend some time on Google: "Pitch controls airspeed, Power controls altitude" (That's a flawed rule (thus rule of thumb), but a meaningful, useful rule with some application to operating aircraft)

In fact, my whole reply to ATL crew was- your airliners are powerful, -I tend to keep the nose down for a view and therefore, the power + lower nose attitude = the high speed you commented on.

a), b), c) (111 pax or 211, or 159 pax?) and every alt at every second of the flight, ..if that is what you wanted. But wouldn't that be boring? Yes.

So, I don't quite agree with you, fsx is a little bit more than just a game, or, at least it can be. It depends on the settings. Context, context, context. In fact, it is 'just a game'. Conversely, it has a good bit of realism and can be used for UNOFFICIAL practice of lots of things. (maybe that makes it 'more than just a game') Conversely, you cannot use it for OFFICIAL practice of anything (so maybe it is 'just a game'). And from another angle, if you know nothing of aviation, it's probably a very boring and frustrating game- shouldn't there be goofy-looking space aliens to shoot at?
                As usual, your translated replies are a bit tough to follow.

I like taking short flights, seeing virtual depictions of a real world that I am familiar with, figuring out descents to arrive where I need to arrive, navigating by instruments- including an occasional ILS and VOR and NDB approach, but mostly shooting landings when there are some winds. And yeah, sometimes I even choose liveries of airlines that no longer exist.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Answers below.

As usual, your translated replies are a bit tough to follow.

I like taking short flights, seeing virtual depictions of a real world that I am familiar with, figuring out descents to arrive where I need to arrive, navigating by instruments- including an occasional ILS and VOR and NDB approach, but mostly shooting landings when there are some winds. And yeah, sometimes I even choose liveries of airlines that no longer exist.
                  Hm. First of all, I feel honored that a man who is longer here than me sits down and takes a few minutes to write a very detailed answer, compared to AA 1818. Thank You.

But there are one or two things that we should not discuss in public!

3) 'Actually, there is such a rule.' I don't ask the Internet to learn how to use a simulator. Either the simulator explains it to me, or I learn it by myself. You probably know Rod Machado (*1953). If you do, you also know his bibliography. I learned how to use a simulator from his first book (2003).

Both of us, we here could publish every single detail of NVFR, which by the way does not really exist in Germany. But an A321 is not flown with NVFR. In Germany, at least you need an IFR license and A321 type rating to see a chance to take off as F/O (A321) now:
                  0103 am CET - (full darkness, no obstacles can be clearly identified through the window).

And flight hours are helpful, too. A thing that I've discussed with Brian.

PS: We don't ask how old jetphotos seniors are, as I might become one in the new year... But as I mentioned, I've not seen a Piper J3 cub (yob 1947?) live and in colour, as a spotter, in my whole life. So I wasn't aware that it has a cabin and a heating. Thanks for the info.
                  Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-14, 00:22. Reason: Piper J3 cub

Comment

Working...
                  X