Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doering
    replied
    Inspired by the announcement of FS2020, I am deep into the history of Microsoft’s Flight Simulator! Here is the trailer!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgYm-jI1oE&t=46s

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    Hey. August 18, you forgot to mention the year.
    I didn't.
    1- It's obvious that it is 2020. Microsoft would no announce an exact date more than a year ahead.
    2- It is called MSFS 2020 for a reason, and Microsoft announced that it would be released in 2020 long ago.
    3- Are links part of the post? Because I provided not 1 but 2 links with detailed of the announcement and in both links it is stated that the date is Aug 18 2020.

And there is no chance that you could try msfs 2020 with your current hardware?
    Right. In a notebook with a gen 7 i5 CPU, 4 GB of RAM, and no graphics card or graphics memory. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Getting the hardware is still my bottleneck.
    Hey. August 18, you forgot to mention the year. Which directly reminded me of a German airport project "South of Berlin" . And my answer became so long, so that you finished your answer first. That again reminds me of Berlin. How many airports or children have been finished in less than 14 years. Unbelievable.

But back on topic.

And there is no chance that you could try msfs 2020 with your current hardware?

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    .. Since more than 13 years, they try to build an International airport, South of Berlin. That must sound ridiculous to people who are 14 years old!

And many International airports have separate railway stations where you'll find more or less fast trains which bring you downtown, at Lohausen International airport I'm sure, at Rhein/Main, yes I assume. But South of Berlin, they have a brandnew airport railway station, which since the year 2011 is ready to see its very first train. Gabriel. Could you imagine that nobody on this planet has ever seen this nine year old railway station, simply because the airport next to it has never been opened? 29 kilometers away from Berlin main station, and they said, we need trains which definitely are not faster than a moped, 51 minutes for that distance, or 34 km per hour.
    You would say, why so slow, in a completely new airport. Well, I had assumed that in a completely new railway station, the railtrack directly shows to the main station, in a straight line, e.g. to the North. Not in Berlin. South of Berlin, the railtrack until 2011 has been completely new built in East West direction. Gabriel. Believe me. If I were able to build airports for flight simulators, I would not build the Original "South of Berlin" with all its errors, I would build it with a railtrack in South North direction. When the simulator version is better than the Original airport..

Back on topic. Ah. The Boeing 747 topic within the msfs 2020?

I will not buy msfs 2020 due to the more or less brilliant B747 which might be included. I'll stay with fsx so that I'm open for Flight Captain Randazzo and his products. And msfs 2020 then comes in as the brilliant solution for scenery flights.
    That's my plan. I hope that I can find a hdd which is big enough for both simulators.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Getting the hardware is still my bottleneck.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Release date and features (airports and planes) announced. August 18.
    Price listed between USD 60 and 120, depending on which of the 3 versions you choose. The differences are small (20, 25 or 30 planes and 20, 25 or 30 hand-crafted super-detailed airports on top of the 37000+ standard airports). There are no other pluses. Flight model, weather, full-world scenery, navaids, ATC, multiplayer etc are all the same across the options. Yet, if I am going to spends thousands of dollars in the computer to run it, I would feel stupid if I saved $60 in the sim version.

LH-B744, you don't have an LH-B744 there but you do have a B-748i.
    [...]
    Hm. Thank God after all those years I'm able to edit (i.e. to shorten) the content between the quotation marks.

August 18th, but which year? I only ask, because... did I ever mention, that there are people in Germany who since September, anno 2006 try to build an International airport, somewhere in Germany? Until today, July 28th 2020, all jets still use Tegel. And if you ask me, I will always prefer Tegel,
    because it is the only airport in Berlin, which has a nonstop Bus connection to Berlin Zoologischer Garten (West Berlin). Bus number X9, and 20 minutes later you are in downtown Berlin. West-Berlin, of course. I am old enough, but I never was able to look behind the wall.
    20 minutes! That will never again be achieved when they close Tegel!

But back on topic.

Somebody said, msfs 2020 is good to own 150 Gigabyte on your hdd .

A good question would be, if really released in exactly 3 weeks (August 18th 2020, as I assume),
    the msfs 2020 team has the chance to virtually open that infamous German airport, South of Berlin, before it has ever seen one single real passenger!!

I'd love that!

PS: Oh, why did you .. mention August 18, without the year. Berlin. That really has become a joke in Germany: December 24th, but which year?
    On all airports, not only in Germany, but also in the U.S. or in London, there is one important question.
    The biggest City in the country, and now try to imagine it has only 1 airport, not only 1 international airport, but only 1 airport at all. How big has this airport to be?
    New York City, with only 1 airport? Absolutely impossible.
    Rome, with only 1 airport, impossibile!
    Paris, with only 1 airport - rien ne vas plus!

Only in Germany, they try to achieve something which in my eyes is absolutely impossible! The biggest city in Germany, with only 1 (much too small) airport.

Oh Gabe. They will probably release msfs 2025 before Neu-Schönefeld has ever seen the first real passengers, not to imagine that were you and me.
    How old are you in five years, Gabe? My answer is, not yet 50 but close to it. Two "old men", the first real passengers, South of Berlin, on an airport which then is older than the youngest jetphotos member..
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-07-28, 01:03. Reason: Neu-Schönefeld airport in August, but which year?

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    This video has recommendations of components to build your own PC for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, at each of the 3 levels (minimum, recommended and ideal) specified by Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2vWrheeVw

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied

Watch this! Reportedly captured in 4K REAL TIME!!!! (meaning that's how it looked when they were using the sim, no trick like flying a 25% speed and then playing back at 4x to improve the render and frame rates, no post-production...)

I wish they told us the specs of the computer they used. But this is just beyond amazing and beautiful.

MANDATORY TO WATCH IN FULL SCREEN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TYqJALPVn0Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Release date and features (airports and planes) announced. August 18.
    Price listed between USD 60 and 120, depending on which of the 3 versions you choose. The differences are small (20, 25 or 30 planes and 20, 25 or 30 hand-crafted super-detailed airports on top of the 37000+ standard airports). There are no other pluses. Flight model, weather, full-world scenery, navaids, ATC, multiplayer etc are all the same across the options. Yet, if I am going to spends thousands of dollars in the computer to run it, I would feel stupid if I saved $60 in the sim version.

LH-B744, you don't have an LH-B744 there but you do have a B-748i.

There are from 20 to 30 planes that come standard with the sim (depending on which version you choose), which is about triple the maximum number of planes the sim ever came with.
    They are also said to be very detailed and accurate, not just in the visual model and flight model but also in the systems, instruments and controls. That would be a first, standard planes of any complexity (i.e. perhaps not the C-172) were NEVER detailed in the systems.

Strange: No Piper plane. I guess MS didn't reach an agreement with them, which if you ask me is a huge mistake for Pipper. Nobody (almost) will not buy MSFS 2020 because there is no Pipper plane, but today-young people becoming fan of aviation flying Beechcrafts, Cessnas, Diamonds and Cirruses planes in the SIM could very well be biased when they decide to buy a airplane years down the road. Brand presence and brand affinity are strong psychological factors in purchase decision.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...s/360015204020
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...s-for-pc-beta/

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    I suspect that if we want to get graphics quality sort of similar to what we see in the promotion videos while enjoying usable frame rates we should aim AT LEAST not to the "recommended" spec but the ideal spec. I've seen some of the specs Asobo Studios was using to test the sim and I don't remember what they were, but they were astronomical. Plus, we know that as soon as you start adding add-on planes and other options the program never gets any lighter, rather the opposite.

We are talking an AT LEAST $2000 computer (not including monitor and other accessories). A bit less if you buy the components and build it yourself.

Anyway, I will wait at least some months after the release to see the experience other users get with different hardware, and also probably to wait until Microsoft comes up with the first package of bug fixes pre-installed in the software normally known as the service pack 1 version.
    Was für ein Schelm, that's what we say here in Germany when I perceive that with not 1 single word you have answered my entry #32 !

In English? Hm, let me try to ask my dictionary, which says... 'a naughty little beggar' , for the German word 'Schelm'.
    But I'm not sure if that's what I wanted to say. There is another German saying, and this time you should try to find a translation, because I do not quite trust my dictionary. Here it is.
    Er hat es faustdick hinter den Ohren.

Back on topic..

My problem really is not my computer, which quite some time ago I have chosen wisely, so that even during the summer it does not get too hot. Probably I should really try to offer my knowledge about computer hardware for one or two another German companies. But then not without payment.
    Since I know that computer controlled air conditioning systems in German trains regularly stop working when the Outside temperature is more than 25°C or 77°F (!) ...

My problem is, I do not only own the fsx Simulator, I own and fly the big package, with the name 'Fsx Gold', originally sold in Germany as the combination of
    fsx + fsx professional + fsx acceleration. Plus one or two really really good add-ons, e.g. fsgrw.

And this combination has one advantage, one HUGE advantage. It also works when I'm completely offline, let's say due to server overload.

Which obviously especially during the summer holidays is an issue which never on earth occurs...

So. The online part of msfs 2020 only becomes interesting for me when all pupils are finally back at school again!

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    I suspect that if we want to get graphics quality sort of similar to what we see in the promotion videos while enjoying usable frame rates we should aim AT LEAST not to the "recommended" spec but the ideal spec. I've seen some of the specs Asobo Studios was using to test the sim and I don't remember what they were, but they were astronomical. Plus, we know that as soon as you start adding add-on planes and other options the program never gets any lighter, rather the opposite.

We are talking an AT LEAST $2000 computer (not including monitor and other accessories). A bit less if you buy the components and build it yourself.

Anyway, I will wait at least some months after the release to see the experience other users get with different hardware, and also probably to wait until Microsoft comes up with the first package of bug fixes pre-installed in the software normally known as the service pack 1 version.

Leave a comment:

• KGEG
    replied
    I am going to have to be honest actually that I likely will have to wait a bit to be able to afford a card that can handle this, and I knew well before hand when this was announced my current card would not be able to handle it even on lower settings as I know the reputation Gabriel speaks of for FS being ahead of its time when it comes out normally for what the average PC user owns to handle it properly. Plus I am more of a console gamer so I don't always have the most up to date computer specs but this is one of those things I will prefer for sure on PC so I will look into saving money for one of the "Recommended" cards, and my current one is an AMD and I am not happy with it (my version is even known to have issues getting along with Windows 10 updates, and has done stuff like screwed up the resolution of my screen and problems displaying things properly when this happens) so I will want to get an nVidia I think.

Leave a comment:

• elaw
    replied
    So... those of you who are expecting to jump to FS2020, are nVidia fans, and have recently won the lottery so are able to afford a high-end card: are you thinking of getting (or do you already have) one currently on the market, or are you waiting for the Ampere cards?

I've never actually bought an "expensive" graphics card (which I'll define as costing USD$500 or more in 2020 dollars) before, but I'm thinking FS2020 just might be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Doering View Post
    With all these updates, videos and features, this new version almost seems too good to be true. I certainly hope the average computer gives us an experience like we are being hyped up to expect.
    The average computer? The average computer was never able to properly run a new release of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and this will not be the exception.
    If you want an experience like we are being hyped up to expect, go for a computer and internet connection that matches, or better, surpasses the "ideal" specs posted a few posts above.

Leave a comment:

• Doering
    replied
    With all these updates, videos and features, this new version almost seems too good to be true. I certainly hope the average computer gives us an experience like we are being hyped up to expect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X