Is learning to fly a costly proposal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is learning to fly a costly proposal?

Can anyone here tell me what the average cost of becoming a certified pilot is? What is the minimum criteria for becoming a pilot? Is it better to join a flying club/school or take flying lessons? Is it hard learning how to fly? what happens if the plane crashes but you survive? Do u have to bear the cost of the aircraft?

I know its a lot of questions, but if anyone has any information at all, could he/she please tell me.

Thanks.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

I think you are talking about PPL (Private pilot license).

I personally haven't a PPL, but I would love to get one. The problem is money and time.

It is quite costly to get your PPL, although it can vary with the club you want to take those lessons. For example, a European PPL can be get in the Netherlands for about $10,000, but I've heard that in South-England you can get such one for $4,000, although I do not know the exact details.

I think crashing the plane is a matter of insurance. That why your paying so much.

As I've heard from other people, the first flying lesson is easier that your first driving lesson. There is much theory to cover in aviation, and it gets difficult with navigation and communication, but if you really want your PPL, it shouldn't be too hard. You just need to something for it.

Comment

Here in the US I am planning on spending about 5-6 thousand dollars to get my PPL. So far I have spent about 1500 dollars...

10,000 dollars in the Netherlands why so steep?

DeltaASA16

Comment

wow very expensive!!! but worth it i bet!!

Comment

thanks a lot guys.
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
            Here in the US I am planning on spending about 5-6 thousand dollars to get my PPL. So far I have spent about 1500 dollars...

DeltaASA16
            Don't know, but it's mostly due to the Dutch FAA. They make it you almost impossible to get your PPL. For example, you need to get 9 certificates (theory) in 12 months! If you exceed the time limit, you have to re-examine one or more certificates.

Comment

Here in the US, it's never what they tell you what it'll be...especially if you go with a professional flight school like I'm in. Westwind School of Aeronautics will easily exceed $4 thou, especially if you go with the nicer aircraft and depending on how fast you familiarize yourself with the airplane and material and such. Be ready to be signing a lot of receipts...
              Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

holy shit this topic is old.
                Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronautics
                  Originally posted by DeltaASA16

DeltaASA16
                  Don't know, but it's mostly due to the Dutch FAA. They make it you almost impossible to get your PPL. For example, you need to get 9 certificates (theory) in 12 months! If you exceed the time limit, you have to re-examine one or more certificates.
                  Same in France, and pretty much in the European Union
                  First deterrants are
                  -cost of the hour of flying
                  -number of hours you are required to log prior to upgrading to next step

Regards
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Also, coming into accounts are
                    -lack of proper airspace to practice
                    -cost of avgas
                    -cost of airplanes + relevant operational ones
                    -various taxes related to non-airline aircraft
                    -as far VAT (Value Added Tax : US equivalent is the sale tax) is concerned
                    -learning thru aeroclub for instance is assimilated as
                    private flying, which is by itself a luxury
                    luxury commodity
                    for info, unfortunately and unlike in the US, corporate flying is not seen as a working tool set to help bringing back contracts more quickly :nonono,
                    In France VAT rates are
                    5.6% for necessary goods, such as food
                    19 % for intermidiate, such as appliances, books, mundane cars ....
                    33 % for ur favourite BMW, private airplanes and so on
                    Hope u get some full explanations
                    Regards
                    Alain
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Re: Is learning to fly a costly proposal?

This applies to the UK only.

Originally posted by indian airlines
                      Can anyone here tell me what the average cost of becoming a certified pilot is?
                      To be become a certified professional pilot.

PPL £5000
                      IMC £2000
                      Night Rating £600
                      Multi-Engine Rating £1500
                      CPL £4000
                      IR £8500
                      ATPL written exams (sorry i don't know that one)
                      Hour Building £2000 - £5000
                      MCC £2000

Not forgetting costs such as reference books etc.

What is the minimum criteria for becoming a pilot?
                      The very minimum is to have a basic knowledge of both physics and maths and a Class 2 medical (i don't know what the American equivalent is).

Is it better to join a flying club/school or take flying lessons?
                      Here in the UK you join a club/school to take flying lessons.

what happens if the plane crashes but you survive
                      Then you consider yourself lucky.

Comment

I have my ppl and am currently studying for my commercial pilots licence.
                        I live in New Zealand, but getting a ppl is pretty much the same everywhere. I have had to get a government loan for my C.P.L however i worked on very crappy wages in a supermarket to fund my P.P.L. i flew once on a sunday morning for a year and a half b4 i sat the flight test. Every last bit of money i earnt went into flying, i couldent buy a stero or anything like that. Forget physics and all that, if you have good common sense, and are calm and relaxed in a flying environment and have relatively good study skills (there are 6 theory exams to pass to get PPL) you will get your pilots licence.

Some people only go as far as their first solo mainly due to fininacial reasons. Getting up to and doing your first solo is relatively easy. Just looking over my logbook I did mine after 17 lessons over 17 weeks, however if you flew every day and the weather was good you could do it after 17 days. Also fly in the cheapist plane at the flight school. i did all my pre ppl training in the 2 seater Piper Tomahawk, where as some people did theres in 4 seaters, where there was only student and instructor i thought that was a bit silly.

Im not very aware of your situation ie money, distance to nearest flight school etc. But very basically book an introduction flight at your flight school. If you enjoyed that 1st flight, get your aviation medical certificate a.s.a.p and then continue with your training. Also if you dont "click" with your instructor get another 1.

Comment

Working...
                        X