Tamiya/Humbrol paint incompatibility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya/Humbrol paint incompatibility.

Just finished building a Tamiya Harrier model. Painted it using Tamiya acrylic paints then applied the decals. Trouble is, I used Humbrol Decalfix .......which promptly clouded the colours and then stripped them off.

Todays lesson learned was.... ALWAYS USE ONLY ONE MANUFACTURERS PRODUCTS. DO NOT MIX AND MATCH BECAUSE THEY WON'T .....MATCH THAT IS.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Every major paint manufacturer has its own line of paints. Acrylic, nitro and enamel, you can not mix them. Acrylic paint is the most delicate, because it has an alcohol base and therefore poor adhesion. Enamel and acrylic can be applied to nitro, on the contrary - no. You applied alcohol to the acrylic, so you have failed.

Comment

Ouch that sounds bad indeed.

Also one good idea is always to protect your coat of paint with a layer of glossy varnish. It also helps the decals to stick.

And yeah, I usually avoid anything with "humbrol" written on it as many new products do a better job, with less chemicals.

cheers
      Alex

Comment

I prefer Tamiya paints. Being acrylic and therefore water soluble any spillages are more easily cleaned up. The jars are sealed with a screw top and are a wider diameter than the Humbrol tins which makes them less likely to fall over.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I like the paint from Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color. They have the same banks, and the palette is wider, as it seems to me. Do not count for advertising.

Comment

Working...
          X