Diary of my model airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diary of my model airport

Ok, it's a bit self-glossening, but so what.
    I have been having a "model airport" for years now, without it actually looking like a real airport. Sure, it did have 2 runways, taxiways and paking positions, but no constant terminal. Through the years, I had many different layouts built: Parallel concourses like ATL, half circles like DFW, FULL circles (with planes parked inside the the circle, too), a layout like LAX etc. In case you're wondering why I have no problem with always tearing down the terminals: Lego is very patiently , and for me way cheaper than buying all that Herpa stuff. Now, I've decided to start my final attempt, and this time, I wanna make it as perfect as (room-wise and financially) possible. I started out with my main runway, which will probably be designated 16L/34R. On the otherside I also have 17/35. And no, I won't built a 16R/34L, because I'd have to tear down a concrete wall to do so, but I will built indicators, like taxiways crossing 16L/34R. As I keep working on the airport, I will post pictures from time to time about the progress, and I'll start today.
    The first three shots show the runway after I just finished the main layout for the parallel taxiway, with the 3rd picture showing what happens when there's a hole in your roof and it drips on red paper :

The following three are of the current status, with the runway being opened already for STOL operations .

So, for the time being, enjoy!

-Colin

Looks like a lot of work, nice job!

Comment

ummm.......why didn't u just print out the foils??
      ***My Blog***

Comment

For several reasons. First, it reduces the fun. Second, my father has aprinting business and usually leftover stuff, and third, I can built it the way I want, without having to stick to a premade layout.

-Colin

Comment

Like very much the idea in monitoring the progess of your airport thanks to your posts. Waiting with interest the next installment.
          Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

At least it keeps you occupied. You know you can get herpies having too much fun
            Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Originally posted by Ansett
              At least it keeps you occupied. You know you can get herpies having too much fun
              LMAO ...Ansett that's probably the funniest thing you've said yet
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Looks good - I bet you will save a lot of money by using other materials, and "have it your way" too!

Very cool Colin!

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                  Originally posted by Ansett
                  LMAO ...Ansett that's probably the funniest thing you've said yet
                  Its true but

Comment

Thats awsome for Lego and Crayola! im not joking, im serious, i couldent do that good of a job with out going half way thru it and saying, "@#$% this!, im going to buy the set!"
                    -Kevin

Comment

its alright if you have the time

Comment

Heres mine currently- YES THE TERMINALS STILL NEED TO BE BUILT!

and a couple of my favorite Boeing Aircraft

Comment

cool, can i have some?

Comment

Figured it's time for an update, now that the runway is essentially complete, at 10,000 feet, in 1/500 scale of course :P , so here's the pics:
                            Cargolux 744F LX-FCV is just starting it's take-off roll on 16L (not sure if I'll keep that number), with ATN A342 F-OITN, MX 752 N763MX "Juan Pablo II", Air Niugini A306 P2-ANG and WN 733 "Shamu II" waiting, with Edelweiss A333 HB-IQZ joining the queue, via the currently added alternative taxiway/holding area for flights which lost tehir slots.

Cubana TU-154 CU-TI256 is following, trailed by Nordic L15 SE-PDX (sorry for the quality):

Pan Am 747SP N530PA is also on it's way to take-off, trailed by DL 777 N863DA ; also note the beginning of the second taxiway, halfway along the runway:

This is where the terminal are will begin. Currently it looks more like Mahave though :

The place of the end of the runway, with departure taxiways from both sides:

A view of the runway in it'S entire lenght:

It's a slow process, but better slow and well-done than hastingly built to collapse .

-Colin

Comment

whats with the lego just right to the taxiway?

Comment

Working...
                              X