Need advise on model plane collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on model plane collection

I am planning to start my collection. What do you recommend: 1/400 or 1/500? What brand: herpa wings? gemini jets? dragon wings? Star jets?, etc.

I am more inclined to collect herpa wings 1/500 because I already have two models. But I am also interested in 1/400 because of the larger size. Before i expand my collection, I need your input on what direction should i go as to the scale size and brand to collect.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you in advance.
    CLICK THIS LINK TO VIEW MY CONTRIBUTIONS AT JETPHOTOS.NET:

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=6799

Well 1/400 you can do more with, and they have much better detail. So that would give you Gemini Jets, Dragon, and JetX all of which are great. Also Herpa tends not to exactly make 1/500 scale buildings quite right, for instance the 1/500 hanger for herpa looks massive even on a 747 in 1/500 scale, but it fits perfectly with 1/400 scale, as do the jetways. Also 1/400 is going to give you more detailed options, sure herpa makes just about every airline out there, however, many have noticed that their molds, even their 1/400 molds are incorrect and not accurate. I would go the way of 1/400, which even the local aviation store guy here in KCOS recommends over 1/500 aircraft, also the 1/400's will have more value, where as the 1/500 and especially 1/600's feel like toys.

Here are some of my planes:
    Gemini Jets:

Dragon Wings:

JetX (Dragon Wings, except special aircraft, IE. 744 roll out, and each individually number, like my 744 is 0197 of 900 made for world wide distribution)

Comment

Thanks a lot for your input!

Wow what a nice collection you have!!!! I like the US Airways, Icelandic, British Airways..... You really see details.

Where do you get your planes? is there any searches I can go to to check if we have store here in New Orleans? What do you think of E-bay store?

Thanks again for your reply.
      CLICK THIS LINK TO VIEW MY CONTRIBUTIONS AT JETPHOTOS.NET:

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=6799

Comment

CHRIS I WANT THAT PIEDMONT 732!!!!!!!!

-Pete
        Pete Ganabathi
        Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Originally posted by GrandAir Fan
          Thanks a lot for your input!

Wow what a nice collection you have!!!! I like the US Airways, Icelandic, British Airways..... You really see details.

Where do you get your planes? is there any searches I can go to to check if we have store here in New Orleans? What do you think of E-bay store?

Thanks again for your reply.
          Well thats only what 10 of my 40 planes. I get most of mine at Hobby Town here in Colorado Springs, and the local shop that is about 98% DW, GJ, JX.

Otherwise, I would recommend

Comment

Originally posted by NWAirlinkCRJ@ERI
            CHRIS I WANT THAT PIEDMONT 732!!!!!!!!

-Pete
            Here ya go Pete

Comment

I started out with Dragon Wings' 1/400th scale a/c, added some 1/500th Herpa Wings (all DL a/c), and other than the various larger size plastic/metal models (Flight Miniatures, Skymarks), my collection has now shifted to Gemini Jets (all metal, no plastic wings like on Dragon Wings/JetX), even though they're a little more expensive (I bought three Gemini Jets back in April and after buying the stands that go with it, it was over $100). Now the Next-Generation Herpa Wings are better than the older ones, they have better molds and the wheels are actually pretty close to the proper size. I like the 1/400th best because they just don't seem tiny and fragile looking like on 1/500th models (unless it's something like an MD-11 or 747).

Comment

yeah.. thay are quite better now the herpa mould, like for instance the IB 346 and LH 346 in star colors, ..i recommend those two, magnificent to look at, and the wheels looks more better than before..
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I was going to collect die-cast models but at my age it is way too expensive. The price for Herpa was steep enough but Gemini Jets was crazy! Gemini Jets cost between $60 and $80 per model over here in NZ which for you Americans is about $40 - $60 and I have other things I want to spend that money on

Comment

If you have a job its no problem to spend the $30-$40. But if you don't you think twice before spending it

As for me, i have a very small collection.

2 777-200 1/200 scale
                    1 757 1/400 scale
                    ***My Blog***

Comment

Originally posted by Mungous
                      I was going to collect die-cast models but at my age it is way too expensive. The price for Herpa was steep enough but Gemini Jets was crazy! Gemini Jets cost between $60 and $80 per model over here in NZ which for you Americans is about $40 - $60 and I have other things I want to spend that money on
                      Wow expensive down there, in the US, they run between $18.00 and $30.00 at most places

Comment

For having flown on board Iwant
                        the US Airways 333, NW DC.10, DL.763 ....
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                        X