Building an airport ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an airport ;)

Hello. As many of you I am collecting small models of airplanes (scale 1:500). i decided to build an airport for them. I wanted to make it as real as possible. I bought some staff like vehicles or signs, and build terminals and gates. However I want to build some lights to make it look cool in the night. Can somebody tell me where can I buy small lamps, what is the cost and how to connect them. I am interested in flashing lights and non-flashing.

Not quite sure, but if you have not already gone too far into 1/500 i would strongly recommend the switch to 1/400 as they hold more detail, value, and many more things.

Comment

I have some 1:500 and some 1:400. I recognised that 1:400 are much more detailed. Rhanks for advice

Comment

I built an airport and such, I have pictures here.

hope you enjoyed them and feel free to ask me any questions, as you saw I used 1:400 and thats it.
        Alex
        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

If you're looking for lights, LEDs should be your best bet. In Toronto, go to Queen/Spadina area, and you'll find a few shops carrying this stuff. In particular, there's Supremetronic and Active Surplus

Connecting shouldn't be too hard, because all you need to do is just closing the circuit, but I'm not sure whether you can actually buy flashing LEDs.

If there are only normal LEDs but you want them to flash, you'll need a timer chip or microcontroller chip, which you have to do a bit of programming. I'm not sure whether you want to get into that though.

Comment

Great website, how come I did not find it earlier

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
              If you're looking for lights, LEDs should be your best bet. In Toronto, go to Queen/Spadina area, and you'll find a few shops carrying this stuff. In particular, there's Supremetronic and Active Surplus

Connecting shouldn't be too hard, because all you need to do is just closing the circuit, but I'm not sure whether you can actually buy flashing LEDs.

If there are only normal LEDs but you want them to flash, you'll need a timer chip or microcontroller chip, which you have to do a bit of programming. I'm not sure whether you want to get into that though.
              LEDs have come a long long way. Years ago I sent away for a free Sampler from Lumex and they send me a newletter every once in a while. They have entire banks of LEDs that would be great for runway/taxi lights.

Comment

Hey glad that you chose to build a 1:500 Scale airport. I have one 1 ft behind me so if you want me to send you some pics, pm me!

Comment

Working...
                X