Scale model display cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale model display cases

There was a post a while back of a display case (enclosed glass, with a wood base and top and lighted) someone was using for models like Skymarks.

I am currently looking for one or two my collection. Can anyone post some pictures of their display cases? If you remember that thread post a link to it or post the picture.

I have not been able to find anything suitable and really don't want to lay out the money to have a custom display case made...

Thanks
    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 28-135mm IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f4L
    EF 100-400L IS
    1.4X II Teleconverter
    Canon 420EX Speedlite
    Canon 430EX Speedlite
    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

What dimensions are you looking for?

I don't know how suitable they would be for what you want, but Ikea has some excellent cases. The "Detolf" model comes to mind. It's glass on all four sides, can have a halogen lamp installed easily, and looks quite nice. The down side is that it only comes with three or four shelves, and unless you can weld, you can't add more..

I just went with the "Billy" book case from Ikea. I replaced all of the shelves with glass ones ($15 each), put glass doors on the front, and installed three "Trettio" halogen lamps (two packages of three lamps for $20) on the top and the middle (solid shelf in the middle of the case).

The total cost was around $220.

My next mod to the case will be inserting a solid piece of white frosted glass on the bottom of each section with some lamps underneath for a nice glow at the bottom...

If you want to avoid Ikea, there is a place on Steeles that has used office and store furniture from businesses that have renovated or gone out of business. They have quite a few cabinets there for display, though most aren't the prettiest looking things around. They fit more of a "retail" space than a "living" space...If you want the info for the store, I can dig it up. I don't have it off hand, it'll take a day or to

Comment

Hey Brandon. Can you post an image of your " Billy "?

*No no, dont get me wrong.

I just want one idea what it looks like. Mine is 2x 40cmx150cm and Im running out of space. I might upgrade the shelve too.
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Heres a quick shot I took while putting it together, it's not the best quality picture, but you get the idea of whats going on there..

The bottom half of that is the same as the top half. The solid shelves at the bottom fit three 1:72 scale F-18's(X1) and F-14's(X2) just right. Though on the black wood, my F-14D VX-9 Vampires model disappears

Comment

Man, Mine is nothing compared to yours. Nice collection ...I'd give you that.

The civilian models at the bottom, are those 1/500's ??

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            Man, Mine is nothing compared to yours. Nice collection ...I'd give you that.

The civilian models at the bottom, are those 1/500's ??
            What I like about those cases is you can always add another one along side of it, or even more. They can be extended higher if needed as well.

They are all 1:400, except one Air Canada 744 from Herpa with is 1:500, and the fighters are 1:72.

One day I'll have to take some good pictures that show the entire cabinet with al the models in there. It's pretty cramped in there now. But I can't afford another case atm due to some other upcoming spending madness

Comment

Thats pretty nice... I can also extend mine as well.
              I cant wait to see the new photos ...
              Btw what types are your fighters...??

I mean who manufactures them... Online purchased ?

Comment

They're Dragonwings 1:72 scale models. They're very nice. They're all metal, and include applicable weapons, external tanks, etc. The wings on the F-14's move as well, which is kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                  They're Dragonwings 1:72 scale models. They're very nice. They're all metal, and include applicable weapons, external tanks, etc. The wings on the F-14's move as well, which is kinda cool.
                  Thats pretty nice.. It'd svck if it didnt move...

Comment

Thats about what I'm looking for, might need two though.......I have about 20 large Skymarks Civilian, about 25 Model Power postage stamp Military and 3 Dragonwings 1:72 military...plus some assorted self built military stuff.

I know its going to need to be a big case which is why I may need two. I was hoping to find some nice trophy cases or something from some business that went belly up, but I haven't been able to locate anything yet.

I did think of IKEA too, and tried to order a catalogue...but their order page has been down for weeks. I'd also have to take some measurements. All of my Skymarks ones are 1:200 or larger.....and the Detolf is only 37cm deep, and the Billy is less than that (around 28cm I believe).

Brandon: Do you find any problems with the Trettio lights? The IKEA website says they shouldn't be placed within 8inches of other objects because of the heat they emit.
                    Last edited by medic1; 2006-05-13, 22:24.
                    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                    EF-S 18-55mm
                    EF 28-135mm IS USM
                    EF 70-200mm f4L
                    EF 100-400L IS
                    1.4X II Teleconverter
                    Canon 420EX Speedlite
                    Canon 430EX Speedlite

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                      Brandon: Do you find any problems with the Trettio lights? The IKEA website says they shouldn't be placed within 8inches of other objects because of the heat they emit.
                      I read that as well. It's also a warning on the packaging. It also says NOT to use them in a cabinet. I installed them anyway because I don't plan on having them on for extended periods of time.

The longest I've had them on at one time is about 4 hours. I didn't notice any excessive heat inside, or when I put my hand over the spots where they are installed. There is a 3/4inch hole over each one at the top, and I also did not notice any excessive heat from there either.

Their on now, I'll check how hot they are in a few hours.

Comment

About four and a half hours now, and theres no real heat build up. You can even touch the lamps for a couple seconds with out getting too uncomfortable. Maybe the Ikea people are being overly cautious to cover all situations the lamps may be used in.

Comment

.....thanks for the info Brandon. I'll have to take some measurments on some of my larger Skymarks models (like the A380) and see how compatible those cases are.
                          Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                          EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                          EF-S 18-55mm
                          EF 28-135mm IS USM
                          EF 70-200mm f4L
                          EF 100-400L IS
                          1.4X II Teleconverter
                          Canon 420EX Speedlite
                          Canon 430EX Speedlite

Comment

I'd guess the A380 will be a tight fit in most cabinets

Comment

Well since its A380's, it would have been nicer to have a glass case all around it for display, so you can view it from all angles. No nessecary to take the planemodel out noh. ?

Comment

Working...
                              X