Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirty Wings: How to let it ALL hang out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Wings: How to let it ALL hang out!

Here's something for the Plastic Modelers!

No plastic Modelers

Take care,

Frank
    "Don't aftermarket details save lots of trouble?"
    "Only if you'd rather spend less time modeling!"

Excellent how-to guidance.
    You really make it look simple than it actually is.

I have troubles finding the "right" glue, somehow even though guided what to buy at the hobby shop, it seems the glue are too harsh on hard plastic or on styrene, it eats part of the surface.
    I'm using "Model Master" - Liquid cement for plastics.
    Do you have any advice what I should be looking for instead?
    I tried with fast drying glue (Super glue) but it's not strong, it breaks sometimes.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Frank, some day I will get in to those large models. They certainly look interesting. But for now, I just have to finish my 1:500 dio. I just have to make 5 more jetways, and then a ground-foil.
      Will C.

Comment

Glues....

Hi Frank:

I have run the gamet with glues I think. Supers are OK but are very brittle and have no elasticity at all. Tube glue is too damn slow! For the past few years I have been using Tenax 7R. Even for plastic to non-plastic joins. I have found that if I get the thinnest sheet plastic I can find or as thin as I can so things won't be out of scale. I paint the resin cast pieces with the Tenax and push on the thin sheet. Neat thing with this is it bonds the plastic to the resin or whatever you are trying to glue together. Same can be done with metal pieces and for photoetch for that matter. I had an F-117A by revell Monogram That I did some years back and really did not want to muck it up so I gave this a try. I painted the place where the photoetch piece was supposed to go and then just laid the piece in. I pressed the piece a bit and the plastic oozed up. I let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then trimmed the excess away. Was perfect! Same can be done with your arms for the flaps and slats. You dont have to worry about making the holes too big either. You can always take small shards of sheet, scraps really, and use these as filler. I never use putty any more. I fill with sheet plastic and give it a coat of Tenax. After a few minutes you can give it a swipe with sand paper and done!!! Takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of it.... You'll never go back to conventional glues again! I think this stuff started out as an industrial bonding agent and somebody got the idea to make the container go from 55 Gal. to a few ounces and is making a fortune! Why the hell cant I think of something like that! DUH!

Hope this was a help!

Stephen C.
        intruder500

Comment

Thanks Stephen, I will definately have to get some of that! Thank you for telling me about it!

Take care,
          Frank
          "Don't aftermarket details save lots of trouble?"
          "Only if you'd rather spend less time modeling!"

Comment

Working...
          X