Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlit query

Evening all,

I would just like to ask the screeners regarding backlit and photographs of aircraft that has the nose on to the sun, a little while ago I had this C-32 rejected for backlit, but I felt at the time of rejection this was harsh because the aircraft is flying directly to the sun and as you can see on the nose cone the sun is on the starboard side of the fuselage, and when I appealed the comment was "not enough light on the fuselage,"
    But then photos like this are accepted, can I ask what are the fundamental differences the screeners are working towards with specific shots of the aircraft facing the sun behind the photographer?

OE-IVN. Airbus A320-214. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Cheers
    Attached Files

Hi,
    We usually look at the tail. If it's in its own shadow, which is the case here, we consider it as backlit.

Regards
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
      Hi,
      We usually look at the tail. If it's in its own shadow, which is the case here, we consider it as backlit.

Regards
      Alex
      Hi Alex,

Surely your statement can also be for the photo that was accepted cant there be some sort of flexibility regarding the position of the sun, rather than just by using the tail?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesDC152 View Post

Hi Alex,

Surely your statement can also be for the photo that was accepted cant there be some sort of flexibility regarding the position of the sun, rather than just by using the tail?
        Generally they're pretty concrete about the whole tail thing. I understand this must be frustrating to hear due to the rarity of the a/c.
        It's a lovely shot, just doesn't fit into Jetphotos' "objective" photo guidelines.
        In saying this, I have spotted a few examples where this rule has been... reinterpreted: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9410542

Comment

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9410542 - Was accepted because it was the 1st one (and still the only one) in the database. Shows we do consider many aspect before rejecting a photo.

The easyJet is an interesting case, technically, the side of the fuselage you're showing is backlit, but considering the whole image, what you're showing is the FRONT view of the plane, which isn't backlit, add also the beauty of that light in the engines, that for us is a totally acceptable image and we're happy that you decided to upload it.

Hope it helps
          Regards
          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
            https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9410542 - Was accepted because it was the 1st one (and still the only one) in the database. Shows we do consider many aspect before rejecting a photo.

The easyJet is an interesting case, technically, the side of the fuselage you're showing is backlit, but considering the whole image, what you're showing is the FRONT view of the plane, which isn't backlit, add also the beauty of that light in the engines, that for us is a totally acceptable image and we're happy that you decided to upload it.

Hope it helps
            Regards
            Alex
            Cheers Alex,

It's just that what you wrote RE the easyJet, could be said exactly for the C-32! and that photo actually has the fuslage lit!

Comment

JamesDC152 I understand you may find head on shots appealing but they rather a bit of a bore to look at. I think I have two of my own in the database and I likely should have just left them on my computer or deleted them. Fortunately I am in a position where I have good photo ops and I understand not everyone is in my enviable like of work.

Take your time and ask yourself if you think the shot will really appeal to the interests of the general public. Build you portfolio on good quality shots, it will only aid in help your reputation as a shooter in the long run.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by baldwin8 View Post
                JamesDC152 I understand you may find head on shots appealing but they rather a bit of a bore to look at. I think I have two of my own in the database and I likely should have just left them on my computer or deleted them. Fortunately I am in a position where I have good photo ops and I understand not everyone is in my enviable like of work.

Take your time and ask yourself if you think the shot will really appeal to the interests of the general public. Build you portfolio on good quality shots, it will only aid in help your reputation as a shooter in the long run.

Craig
                Hi Craig,

Thanks for the words. But to clarify, it is not that I find head on shots appealing, it is merely a backlit consistency I am trying to figure out. With the C-32 shot having light along the fuselage and on the tail but was rejected for backlit when the sun is clearly reflecting on the nose of the aircraft when photos in the database are accepted with similar angles.

Comment

It's not about right or wrong but how to play the game. Jets isn't going to take it. Their policy. Try another web site. Get that good pic in there. Good Luck.
                  Click to view my pictures on Jetphotos.net. Thanks!!

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5984

Comment

Working...
                  X