No announcement yet.

Getting her digits: Discerning full registration from US military tail numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting her digits: Discerning full registration from US military tail numbers

I have a basic understanding, thanks to Wikipedia, about how tail numbers can translate into US military aircraft registrations. Usually, though, I'm dependent on the internet telling me the two-digit (fiscal year) prefix. However the other day I spotted a US Army Black Hawk (UH-60M, I think) at MRY that apparently has never been spotted and doesn't appear in any online databases. The paint scheme on the tail was also unlike that of any other recently-spotted Army UH-60 I could find online. Transponder wasn't on, so no info from ADS-B Exchange or Flightradar24. Call sign was also unfamiliar to me, but I neglected to right it down and have since forgotten. Any help with figuring out the full registration so I can get my first badge? Thanks in advance, friends!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01306.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	704.3 KB
ID:	1133470

Originally posted by Sommattlier View Post
    I have a basic understanding, thanks to Wikipedia, about how tail numbers can translate into US military aircraft registrations. Usually, though, I'm dependent on the internet telling me the two-digit (fiscal year) prefix. However the other day I spotted a US Army Black Hawk (UH-60M, I think) at MRY that apparently has never been spotted and doesn't appear in any online databases. The paint scheme on the tail was also unlike that of any other recently-spotted Army UH-60 I could find online. Transponder wasn't on, so no info from ADS-B Exchange or Flightradar24. Call sign was also unfamiliar to me, but I neglected to right it down and have since forgotten. Any help with figuring out the full registration so I can get my first badge? Thanks in advance, friends!
    17-20979

Comment

OMG that is such a cool resource. Thank you! While you're around, how does the photo look? Any changes you'd request before I submit? (In a couple weeks because I have no queue slots)

Comment

Working...
      X