Aircraft Identification Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Identification Database

Hey all. This is my first post, and I probably won't be participating much around here. However, I had an idea the other day, and I'm curious if it would be of interest to those "in the know". I'm no aviation freak, but I have on occasion found myself at the airport wishing I could find out what aircraft I was watching take off or landing, or identify a picture of a particularly cool-looking aircraft I'd found.

First off, if you haven't heard of Identifont, take a look. It's an awesome site for web designers such as myself. My idea is to compile a similar database for aircraft, automatically identifying based on a series of questions regarding general attributes (wing shape, number/type of engines, tail shape) and narrowing down to more specific details (cockpit windows, wingtips, landing gear).

So, my question to the community is threefold. First, would this be useful/interesting to yourselves and to the aviation community as a whole? Would anyone be interested in helping to compile the database? As I mentioned, I don't know a whole lot about aviation, so my strengths lie in the technical end of things. Finally, what questions would be useful to ask to identify aircraft? Some sort of logical order would be nice, narrowing down from general to specific questions and avoiding irrelevant questions. (I don't think asking if a single-engine propeller plane has a delta wing would help much.)

Here are the basic questions I've been able to come up with so far:

Type of aircraft military or civilian
    Type of engines propeller or jet
    Wing base top, middle or bottom of fuselage
    Wing shape straight, swept back, forwards, delta, diamond
    Number of engines 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6
    Position of engines wing, fuselage, tail
    Tail shape not sure of the terminology here, but _|_, T, -|-, |___|, |----|, ----, etc.

Is there any interest in this? Ideas/suggestions? Any other places I should ask?
Working...
X