Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gradients

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gradients



    I've recently noticed a few photos with what seem like obvious graduated filters applied to the top/sky in the photographs. Out of respect for the photographers I will refrain from posting specific examples, but I was just curious if this was a new change in motive and edit acceptance or if they just slip through? Again, I do not mean to call anyone out or bash other photographs/photographers, I am just curious because I hadn't seen them get accepted here until recently.

  • #2
    Originally posted by klaxspotting View Post

    I've recently noticed a few photos with what seem like obvious graduated filters applied to the top/sky in the photographs. Out of respect for the photographers I will refrain from posting specific examples, but I was just curious if this was a new change in motive and edit acceptance or if they just slip through? Again, I do not mean to call anyone out or bash other photographs/photographers, I am just curious because I hadn't seen them get accepted here until recently.
    Physical gradient filters (CPLs as well) are allowed if it is made clear that is what is being used when the image is uploaded, but digital filters applied after the fact are not. Most likely the images were added mistakenly, or the weather conditions were such that it's possible a natural phenomenon is being represented. If in doubt, the crew can always be contacted privately with your concerns/questions.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would have nothing against it. This is not a radical modification of the photo (so as to make it false), but a simple adjustment.
      After all, what do we do when we correct exposure, contrast or apply an unsharp mask? We modify the original file to make it presentable here on JP.

      Comment


      • #4
        Gradients are also good for reducing exposure blowouts (especially in the sky) and also keeping the histogram reasonable for acception. Obviously not overdoing it to make the picture look overedited.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
          I would have nothing against it. This is not a radical modification of the photo (so as to make it false), but a simple adjustment.
          After all, what do we do when we correct exposure, contrast or apply an unsharp mask? We modify the original file to make it presentable here on JP.
          Of course, you do alter an original photo from the camera to get the file you upload. But the final result shouldn't have anything, which isn't in the original photo. Things like gradients or HDR or others can alter the photo simply too much.
          Last edited by LX-A343; 2019-12-02, 20:31.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

          Comment


          • #6
            I know the effect you're referring to. Seems to be popular on instagram. I don't really know how or why this trend started tbh! Don't think I've seen any here on Jetphotos though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
              I know the effect you're referring to. Seems to be popular on instagram. I don't really know how or why this trend started tbh! Don't think I've seen any here on Jetphotos though.
              Mostly because we reject most of them . But some sneak through.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

              Comment

              Working...
              X