Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slit photography of planes

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and would like to get your opinion on the technique I am using to generate pictures of planes.

I have been experimenting with a technique commonly known as slit or strip photography. In my particular case, I have taken slow-motion videos of taxiing planes. I have written a little Matlab script that allows me to extract the center column of pixels from each frame and put them side by side. The result is a side view of the plane with the background nicely smeared out. Obviously, this is a heavily processed image but still very pretty and an accurate side view of the plane. It seems as if such images are not allowed on jet-photo, nevertheless, I would like to hear your critique and if you know of other people doing something similar. BTW, this technique also works extremely well with trains. Thanks!

Jan

Click image for larger version

Name:	Huisken_slitscan_plane_IMG_1691.png
Views:	287
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	1076011

Although the concept does not really make sense to me, it is quite cool to see that work and produce a sharp finished image. However, the plane looks a little squashed (either that or the engines are just too large), and the wings both bend upwards in an uncharacteristic fashion and have taller winglets than the plane has in real life.

Comment

Or you can just open you shutter for a bit longer to get proper non-manipulated blur of the background... Your method is impressive, however I would say it's just kind of waste of time as you may have the same effect with one shot of your camera. And you are right: this kind of manipulation is not allowed at JetPhotos.
      Cheers,
      Tomasz

Comment

Originally posted by sfphoto View Post
        Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and would like to get your opinion on the technique I am using to generate pictures of planes.

I have been experimenting with a technique commonly known as slit or strip photography. In my particular case, I have taken slow-motion videos of taxiing planes. I have written a little Matlab script that allows me to extract the center column of pixels from each frame and put them side by side. The result is a side view of the plane with the background nicely smeared out. Obviously, this is a heavily processed image but still very pretty and an accurate side view of the plane. It seems as if such images are not allowed on jet-photo, nevertheless, I would like to hear your critique and if you know of other people doing something similar. BTW, this technique also works extremely well with trains. Thanks!

Jan

Click image for larger version

Name:	Huisken_slitscan_plane_IMG_1691.png
Views:	287
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	1076011
        I liked the result. You used Matlab! An old fellow of mine in physics.

Although it is not fair to upload an image of this. It can be used as research.

Comment

Working...
        X