Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget handheld aviation scanners

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Budget handheld aviation scanners

    Hey all,

    Im currently looking at investing in a budget scanner for radio transmissions to help with light aircraft spotting.

    I live relatively close to both airports I photograph at (less than 1km away from Palmerston North airport and aprox 8km from Fielding aerodrome) so that is the rough range capability I'm looking at.

    Have already looked into the UNIDEN Bearcat 75XLT and 125AT/XLT series as well as the TTI TSC100RA and would love to here from anyone who uses these three types as to whether they would recommend them or not for spotting. Additionally would like to here of any more suggestions, ideally in the budget range of around $250NZD/ $153USD/ $121UKP and under.

    Kind Regards,
    JW
    Last edited by Jordan Williams; 2020-04-20, 04:51. Reason: Radio types now in bold lettering

  • #2
    Hi JW, I have a Digitech AR-1733 Audio DSP receiver with 500 memory with external antenna works by batteries, it picks up MW,FM,SW,LW, also picks up Airband transmissions between pilot and ATC, it cost me $79.95 Aus, I purchased rechargeable batteries to go with it as it doesn't have a power cable. the Air band frequency range is from 118-137mhz.
    regards
    Railcottage

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by railcottage View Post
      Hi JW, I have a Digitech AR-1733 Audio DSP receiver with 500 memory with external antenna works by batteries, it picks up MW,FM,SW,LW, also picks up Airband transmissions between pilot and ATC, it cost me $79.95 Aus, I purchased rechargeable batteries to go with it as it doesn't have a power cable. the Air band frequency range is from 118-137mhz.
      regards
      Railcottage
      Thank you, will look into that radio aswell.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello,


        I've used the Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT for years and find it very suitable.


        Regards.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Netburn View Post
          Hello,


          I've used the Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT for years and find it very suitable.


          Regards.
          Many thanks!!

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a BC125AT now (replaced some kind of Radio Shack handheld scanner from the early 2000s that I've damaged on multiple occasions) and it seems great to me. I use it around airports with the stock antenna. The controls are good, reception is good and I like that this one can display a short tag for the frequencies I programmed in.

            Edit: and oh yeah, programming it via PC was reasonably easy. Also came with its own rechargeable batteries, can charge via a USB cable.

            Alex

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
              I have a BC125AT now (replaced some kind of Radio Shack handheld scanner from the early 2000s that I've damaged on multiple occasions) and it seems great to me. I use it around airports with the stock antenna. The controls are good, reception is good and I like that this one can display a short tag for the frequencies I programmed in.

              Edit: and oh yeah, programming it via PC was reasonably easy. Also came with its own rechargeable batteries, can charge via a USB cable.

              Alex
              Massive thanks for the info!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Just out of curiosity, in addition to the other scanners listed does anyone use the Uniden EZI33XLT and could give some feedback with regards to it's suitability for spotting? Thanks in advance and also a massive thanks to all those who have already responded, cant say how much I appreciate it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey Mate hows things - Ive been using the TTI TSC100RA like you mentioned for a number of years now - very well priced and picks up everything only thing i've found is you sometimes get feedback from your camera which is not ideal

                  other than that its great!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dash8captain View Post
                    Hey Mate hows things - Ive been using the TTI TSC100RA like you mentioned for a number of years now - very well priced and picks up everything only thing i've found is you sometimes get feedback from your camera which is not ideal

                    other than that its great!
                    Hey Terry, things have been really good, hope you are well down south!

                    I ended up buying the ICOM IC-R6 from the Downunder Pilot-Shop in Napier in the end just to throw a curve ball to the ones I initially asked advice on haha! Cheers for getting back to me though, much appreciated!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X