JPG Sky Artifact Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPG Sky Artifact Removal

Hey folks, Any suggestions for removing artifacts in the sky areas? I have Photoshop CS5 and rarely use layers. I do a lot of selecting areas and working that way. Any suggestions or tutorials. Thanks,,,,,,,,Steve
    Click to view my pictures on Jetphotos.net. Thanks!!

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5984

Originally posted by steve View Post
    Hey folks, Any suggestions for removing artifacts in the sky areas? I have Photoshop CS5 and rarely use layers. I do a lot of selecting areas and working that way. Any suggestions or tutorials. Thanks,,,,,,,,Steve
    1) would need to see examples to know exactly what you are talking about
    2) if they were not natively in the scene/image, best way to 'remove' things is to avoid them being there in the first place.

Comment

Hello Steve,
      Humbly I would try my contribution here:

I've addressed this issue a number of times on this forum, appealed a number of rejected photos with JPEG-Compression artifacts, investigate this phenomenon on the web, approached Canon corp. UK advisers, thereafter with a help of a scientist expert of light-photons who is working in a High-Tech co., and the conclusion learnt is this:

The basic of this phenomenon is light-heat differentials, measured by Kelvin-Numbers, when greater than 8000 (on hot sky) would create radiant-spots i.e. artifacts on the "sky" space of the picture and /or upon the outlines of the plane fuselage (compression by itself would also happened when there is too much/extensive crop of the original picture).

I do PP only with Canon-DPP, do not apply any further process – and yet, most of my "summer photos" of planes have some sort of artifacts.
      I do not know of any software that can remove artifacts.
      So, as Dana stated – try to avoid them, take photos on early mornings. Reckon it occurred mostly in late spring through summer – especially if you live in a hot country, Israel is my home-base.

Hope I managed to clarify by a bit.
      Ike Harel

Comment

Hey Steve, just an opinion.

Sometimes i do experience some of them...I usually use Lightroom's Masking tool and do about 40 plus everytime (Should do the job)

If they are in the image originally, like what Dana said, would be advisible to avoid it instead.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi Steve, can you show an example of a photo of yours that has the issue? For the purposes of our hobby here avoiding JPEG compression is usually a matter of dialing back noise reduction and making sure to save at max available quality at all stages of capture and processing. Fixing a photo with compressed sky is possible but it's usually better (faster, better results, less likely to create other problems) to go back to the beginning and re-process without introducing the compression.

Regards,

Alex

Comment

Thanks for the help and information guys. There are a million ways to somewhat reduce the artifacts, but I'd like to completely remove the whole mess with a blur or something like selecting the sky and adding color or something. Anyway, Thanks for the info. Check this picture and the sky area. Click image for larger version

Name:	31may20N452PApic.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	1094016

Comment

There are a million ways to somewhat reduce the artifacts, but I'd like to completely remove the whole mess with a blur or something like selecting the sky and adding color or something.
              Hi Steve, blurring or reducing noise would only make the sky banding worse. Think of it as 1000px tall and only 256 shades of blue to choose from... if it's super smooth there are going to be visible bands.

Arguably the opposite is necessary - more noise. I played around with your photo to illustrate that point - see attached. Note that I wasn't too careful with feathering so there are areas near the aircraft that don't look great when equalized.

Don't get me wrong, I would not remove noise just to add it back in later in the process. Avoiding excessive noise reduction (in its many forms) to begin with and saving at max JPEG quality are the way to go to avoid banding and blotching. I noticed the file you had above was only about 350kb for a 1920px wide picture - maybe you are not saving at max JPEG quality?

Regards,

Alex
              Attached Files

Comment

Quebec Golf,
                Hey Thanks for your feedback and work on the picture. Yeah I guess blurring etc would cause banding and blotching. I'm in no way any kind of PS scholar. I rarely use layers.
                I still think there's a way to select the sky area and do a blur or something like that. Can't do too much or the subject will get edgy and stand out. I try to avoid mid day pictures, but when that rare sighting 747 comes in, you have to shoot it. My best stuff is late evening light. Thanks again. I'll keep working at it.

Comment

ikeharel,
                  Thanks a lot for your time and effort. You did some serious research on the topic. I'm not smart enough to understand all that tech. I'm old school and kinda lazy I guess.
                  If I find something that works, that's all I need even if I don't understand it. Somehow I've been able to put together a few nice images on Jets. One thing I did do was increase my resolution say from 300 to 600 pixels per inch and save the image at max and 3 passes. Anyway, on we go. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X