Camera advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera advice

I am very new to this site, and want to buy a canon sx620 to take photos of planes passing overhead at about 1000 feet to land or taking off at a height between 5000 and 6000 feet. I live near the airport. Is the sx620 good enough? I realise it is only a point and shoot camera but it has 25 X optical zoom. Also any help with settings like shutter speed and ISO would be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot to everyone.
    Deniel
    read more here

Hi Deniel,

I don't know much things about this type of camera but I have a bridge camera Canon SX50 HS and I can confirm to you that is a pretty good camera for this kind of photos. You can go to the moon with it because it has 50X optical zoom. The settings depend a lot on the weather but for a sunny day you can try ISO100, F7/1, 1/1000 shutter speed.

Loredana

Comment

Originally posted by Artanca View Post
      I am very new to this site, and want to buy a canon sx620 to take photos of planes passing overhead at about 1000 feet to land or taking off at a height between 5000 and 6000 feet. I live near the airport. Is the sx620 good enough? I realise it is only a point and shoot camera but it has 25 X optical zoom. Also any help with settings like shutter speed and ISO would be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot to everyone.
      Hi, the first question I would ask is whether you want to upload photos to JetPhotos or whether you are just taking photos for yourself or to post on social media. If you want to upload to JP, then i'd strongly recommend looking at a DSLR set up instead. If you look at second hand equipment you can find some very good value equipment that will allow you to maximise image quality. If you are looking at taking photos just for yourself then I'm sure that camera will be pretty adequate.
      Just a word of warning though, you say you want to take photos of aircraft at 1000ft - 5000ft. If you are intending to upload to JP you will probably notice that there are very, very few accepted uploads of this type. Most side on images in the air of aircraft are taken at up to just a few hundred feet. At 1000ft and on, you will be subject to a lot of atmospheric conditions such as heat distortion which will destroy the photo and it wont be uploadable.
      As for settings, there are many posts here that discuss that subject already.
      Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X