Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly...

How can a B&W photo have "Bad Color?"

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Adam

Why would one need to shoot a B&W photo in 2004?
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Nothing is gained by making that Black and White.
      Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
        Why would one need to shoot a B&W photo in 2004?
        Thats true chris, but i just wanted to try something a little more aesthetic and interesting!

Many photographers turn photos B&W for certain artistic reasons. I personally think the B&W version of this photo looks much better than the color version

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
          I personally think the B&W version of this photo looks much better than the color version

Adam
          Which is what I believe Chris was getting at: the color was bad. Thus, Bad Color.
          Will F.
          Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

B&W Photography

I used to think the same as Chris, saying "The world is in color, why would you want to photograph it in B&W". That was until it was recommended to me to take a B&W photography class at the local community college to better understand the basic concepts of photography.

If you've never shot T-Max or Ilford Delta B&W film and spent time in the darkroom developing your negatives and making prints, you are missing out. It can be really enjoyable and, if you enjoy photography there is a high probability you'll like working in the darkroom.. The concepts you employ in the darkroom making your prints (burning, dodging, exposure control, etc) are digitally replicated in applications like Photoshop and others. By spending time in the darkroom, I think it helps in the post processing of your photographs.

One thing a respected photographer said was:

In color photographs, the viewer's eyes are immediately drawn to the colors. If they are incorrect or flat, the viewer rarely goes any further in looking at the subject.
            In B&W, the viewer's eyes are immediately drawn to the subject.

Give it a try. I did and still enjoy it.

Comment

Black and white photography can be effective if used properly. In my opinion, here it was not. The image has to be of contrast to show extremes.

It is difficult to master, and even more difficult to effectively portray what you see to your audience.

Comment

To follow on what Mark said, B&W is often well used with good contrast to make the subject more dramatic. Adam's photo is nice, but looks too flat. The simplest of images look best in B&W.

(I take photo at school and we do everything in B&W)

-Clovis

Comment

I have always held the belief that anyone can get lucky and take good photos is color but taking B&W photos takes something special.

For the most part I do use color, however there are occasions where B&W is desired, when it comes to aircraft I only use B&W for "Classic" airliners, these are photos for me only, I don't attempt to upload them because few appriciate them, are are a few examples:

Next trip: 4/15-4/29 IAD-SJU-SXM-SAB-SJU-AUA-IAD

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

My Airliners.net pics, click here!!

My AirlinePics.com pics, click here!!

Comment

I really like that wing view and the Sepia tone on #3

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                    X