Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamron 100-400 or Sigma 100-400?

Hi everyone

I plan to upgrade my lens in the next few weeks and I've narrowed my options down to either the Tamron or Sigma 100-400. I've seen reviews of each, and I'm leaning towards the Tamron due to the option of a tripod collar, but I'd just like to check up here first, just in case anyone has experience or knowledge about which is the better pick. I shoot with a canon 700D (may upgrade to 90D in the future) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Hi
    I have the same equipment as you and i recommend the TAMRON because the stabilization and also quality are much better. It is very heavy but mounted on a 90D is a great combination. The tamron 100-400 is the 'low cost' version of canon 100-400 (practically the best after that) . I don't have the collar because i am fine without it. The zoom ring of tamron is the same of nikon, the sigma is canon. This does not change anything and you quickly get used to it.
    Sincerely
    Flavio

Comment

Originally posted by Flavio Renzi View Post
      Hi
      I have the same equipment as you and i recommend the TAMRON because the stabilization and also quality are much better. It is very heavy but mounted on a 90D is a great combination. The tamron 100-400 is the 'low cost' version of canon 100-400 (practically the best after that) . I don't have the collar because i am fine without it. The zoom ring of tamron is the same of nikon, the sigma is canon. This does not change anything and you quickly get used to it.
      Sincerely
      Flavio
      Thanks for the response Flavio. I did see that the zoom is in the Nikon direction, but seeing as I'll only use the one lens, it shouldn't be a problem. Just curious, do you ever have issues with vignetting? My current lens (Canon ef-s 55-250mm IS STM) has severe vignetting to the point where most of my photos aren't acceptable at longer focal lengths. Obviously, the Tamron is a much more expensive lens, and is built for full frame unlike the 55-250, and I'm hoping it's an upgrade in this area.

Comment

The tamron not have vignetting in any focal length , to be sure always put F8.0 for the best sharpness and no vignetting. However this lens is very similar to all focal lenghts and all aperture, it almost never shows any kind of loss...is very good from 100mm to 350mm and 400 is in any case good. bye

Comment

Originally posted by Flavio Renzi View Post
          The tamron not have vignetting in any focal length , to be sure always put F8.0 for the best sharpness and no vignetting. However this lens is very similar to all focal lenghts and all aperture, it almost never shows any kind of loss...is very good from 100mm to 350mm and 400 is in any case good. bye
          Thanks for the answers Flavio. I look forward to getting my hands on the new lens.

Comment

I have the Sigma. Good value for money.

An example

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9506862
            “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Lehondre Photos View Post
              Hi everyone

I plan to upgrade my lens in the next few weeks and I've narrowed my options down to either the Tamron or Sigma 100-400. I've seen reviews of each, and I'm leaning towards the Tamron due to the option of a tripod collar, but I'd just like to check up here first, just in case anyone has experience or knowledge about which is the better pick. I shoot with a canon 700D (may upgrade to 90D in the future) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
              example of tamron 100-400 (1920 pixel)

example 300mm
              https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9793490

example 200mm
              https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9817474

example 100mm
              https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9804926

my profile for more pics: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/131239

Comment

I have the Tamron and I am satisfied with it. In some situations it is even superior to the Canon. It is not correct to say that no vignette. It depends on the aperture and shooting angle.
                It is weather sealed if that can be useful.

Comment

How about buying a used Canon 100-400L IS USM Mark 1?

Comment

Thanks for the examples ErwinS and Flavio Renzi , and thanks for your experience with the Tamron mahagonny, it looks like both the lenses are quite capable optically. I think I'll go for the Tamron due to the fact that is has the option of a tripod mount as I aim to do some night photography with it as well. hamza_397 I have looked at the Canon 100-400L, but haven't found any for sale in my area without issues, and I've heard that the Tamron isn't too different optically (I may be wrong). Thanks everyone for the help, I now feel more confident in my purchase.

Comment

Another question with the Tamron:

Is it worth buying the tap-in console to tweak the autofocusing, or was it fine out of the box? Just seen a few reviews that say they had to do that to get the lens to produce good pictures.

Thanks in advance for any answers, I know I've asked a lot.

Comment

Is it worth buying the tap-in console to tweak the autofocusing, or was it fine out of the box? Just seen a few reviews that say they had to do that to get the lens to produce good pictures.

i not have it and the lens is good for spotting

Comment

If I remember correctly, this was a problem with the first few releases. It is gone now. However, the tap-in console is useful for updating firmware. Maybe I would try to look for it used

Comment

Working...
                          X