Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600

Hi there, I’m thinking to upgrade my lens in a few weeks. Right now I have a Canon 90D with a Tamron 100-400. I’m considering buying a 150-600mm lens.

Right now, I have 4 choices. Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150-600 S, Tamron 150-600 (A011), and Tamron 150-600 G2 (A022).

Could anyone please give me any opinions or suggestions? Thanks so much!

I have the Sigma 150-600C. A good lens for value. Sharp. But as with all superzooms. At 600 softish an vignetting
    The only time you have too much fuel is when youre on fire.

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
      I have the Sigma 150-600C. A good lens for value. Sharp. But as with all superzooms. At 600 softish an vignetting
      Thank you I will think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYspotter View Post
        Hi there, I’m thinking to upgrade my lens in a few weeks. Right now I have a Canon 90D with a Tamron 100-400. I’m considering buying a 150-600mm lens.

Right now, I have 4 choices. Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150-600 S, Tamron 150-600 (A011), and Tamron 150-600 G2 (A022).

Could anyone please give me any opinions or suggestions? Thanks so much!
        You're using a wonderful camera. In my opinion you should go for Canon 100-400mm Mark ii + 1.4x extender

Comment

Originally posted by hamza_397 View Post

You're using a wonderful camera. In my opinion you should go for Canon 100-400mm Mark ii + 1.4x extender
          But it's by far the most expensive option. In Poland, the lens itself is is a whopping 900€ (over a 1000 USD) more than T150-600g2. And the 1.4x extender is another 450€. And I'm not sure if the AF will be fully operative with the Canon 90D body while using lens+TC. It might work only in the center point.

As a user, I can recommend T150-600g2. I used it with 7d mk I and now with 6d mk II. It's sharp, well, the 600mm has it's better and worse moments, but until 550mm it's great. It has a very good image stabilization system, and thanks to the Tamron's tap-in console you may, among other stuff, do some AF tweaking.

Only downsides of this lens: 150mm in the "wide" end is sometimes too much on the crop sensor cameras, especially if you can get close to the aircraft. From my experience with 150mm and C7D, you have to be at least 250-300m away from a B738 to fit it in the frame in a 90 degree shot. And the other thing, the lens is quite heavy. It might not be a problem when you're taking few shots an hour, but after whole day at the airport you might get sore muscels. I'm not joking, after 3 days spent by the FRA's fence, my whole upper body hurt from constant up and down motion.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post

But it's by far the most expensive option. In Poland, the lens itself is is a whopping 900€ (over a 1000 USD) more expensive than T150-600g2. And the 1.4x extender is another 450€. And I'm not sure if the AF will be fully operative with the Canon 90D body while using lens+TC. It might work only in the center point.

As a user, I can recommend T150-600g2. I used it with 7d mk I and now with 6d mk II. It's sharp, well, the 600mm has it's better and worse moments, but until 550mm it's great. It has a very good image stabilization system, and thanks to the Tamron's tap-in console you may, among other stuff, do some AF tweeking.

Only downsides of this lens: 150mm in the "wide" end is sometimes too much on the crop sensor cameras, especially if you can get close to the aircraft. From my experience with 150mm and C7D, you have to be at least 250-300m from a B738 to fit it in the frame in a 90 degree shot. And the other thing, the lens is quite heavy. It might not be a problem when you're taking few shots an hour, but after whole day at the airport you might get sore muscels. I'm not joking, after 3 days spent by the FRA's fence, my whole upper body hurt from constant up and down motion.
            About muscle soreness,I very much agree.
            My lens weighs 3,600 grams,I have to bring a chair every time I go to the airport.

Comment

Im not 100% sure how helpful this will be for you, but I recently had a chance to test a rented Canon 100-400L IS II USM vs a Tamron 150-600mm G2 from a friend. Instead of a crop / DSLR body Im using an EOS R though.

In short: I found the Tamron has a few quirks which, in the end, had me buying the 100-400mm with the 1.4x Extender.

Reasons for that being:

- The Canon 100-400mm is sharper, has better contrast and lets a bit more light in + 100mm is good if you are close to the airport fence for example and need the "wider" field of view for approaching aircraft.

- The Tamron 150-600mm has a zoom ring that is turned in the opposite direction than my other lenses and it is somewhat "sticky", you cant just flick it from 150 to 600mm. This is up to personal taste / experience and in the end only a small issue. (For me it sometimes was a bit weird to shoot because I had to think for a second in which direction I need to turn the zoom, without taking my eye from the viewfinder.)

- 200mm more reach on the Tamron vs the Canon is worth a lot on full frame bodies, but most likely not so relevant with an APS-C body.

- The Canon has a much closer minimum focus distance and, overall, is the more versatile lens. I think the zoom range from 100-400 should actually be enough on a 90D that you dont really need the 600mm that often except for smaller aircraft. Id in general consider the Sigma / Tamron more of a full-frame oriented lens.

- the 100-400mm is lighter and has a reasonably sized 77mm filter thread

- Last but not least, on my R, tracking AF was hunting with the Tamron at times, this might be an issue only related to adapting though.

Maybe you can find a good deal on ebay (like new condition) or ask your reseller for a rebate, as EF glass is slowly fading out its likely that you can get 200-300$ off from the original price.

Best Regards, Felix

Comment

It was a great idea tbh but these 2 stuffs are over budget

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post

But it's by far the most expensive option. In Poland, the lens itself is is a whopping 900€ (over a 1000 USD) more than T150-600g2. And the 1.4x extender is another 450€. And I'm not sure if the AF will be fully operative with the Canon 90D body while using lens+TC. It might work only in the center point.

As a user, I can recommend T150-600g2. I used it with 7d mk I and now with 6d mk II. It's sharp, well, the 600mm has it's better and worse moments, but until 550mm it's great. It has a very good image stabilization system, and thanks to the Tamron's tap-in console you may, among other stuff, do some AF tweaking.

Only downsides of this lens: 150mm in the "wide" end is sometimes too much on the crop sensor cameras, especially if you can get close to the aircraft. From my experience with 150mm and C7D, you have to be at least 250-300m away from a B738 to fit it in the frame in a 90 degree shot. And the other thing, the lens is quite heavy. It might not be a problem when you're taking few shots an hour, but after whole day at the airport you might get sore muscels. I'm not joking, after 3 days spent by the FRA's fence, my whole upper body hurt from constant up and down motion.
                  Thanks for the advice! Tbh T156G2 was what I wanted, but I found 4 choices when I looked up 156 lenses. I will keep an eye on G2.

Comment

Originally posted by YsMilan View Post

About muscle soreness,I very much agree.
                    My lens weighs 3,600 grams,I have to bring a chair every time I go to the airport.
                    Thanks for those details ! I will compare and make a decision!

Comment

Don't you have to manual focus with the 1.4x extender?

Comment

I use the Sigma 150-600 C and its really good! I wouldn't use a teleconverter as that increases your minimum aperture.

Comment

Working...
                        X