Problem with a Canon EF 70-300 IS-USM lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a Canon EF 70-300 IS-USM lens

Hello everyone, good morning, kindly, I have a problem with a Canon EF 70-300 IS-USM lens that I cannot understand.
    In the photo that I am attaching you can clearly see what happens when equalizing a photo taken with this lens, they are all like this.

All photos like this are discarded for "vignetting not allowed".

The file for peripheral light correction is correctly installed on the camera.
    I tried removing the file and reinstalling it but the result doesn't change.
    I then tried to remove the vignette using Canon's DPP after loading the peripheral light correction file for my lens: setting it to maximum only lightens the edges but the bulk of the vignetting remains.
    So I tried using Camera Raw's Vignette Removal but the result is identical, the vignette is not removed.
    This problem is present only with this lens, with other optics I have no vignetting problem and it occurs throughout the excursion of the lens, from 70mm to 300mm.
    I asked photographer friends but no one has any idea what the problem might be.
    I also went to some specialized stores showing photos, but no one was able to give me an explanation
    Has anyone ever had this problem with a lens?
    Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you all in advance for any answers,
    with regard
    Carlo

Attached Files

Hi

​​​​This is very sad to know about your lens. I was facing the same problem with my Canon 55-250mm IS STM. I tried to fix it but didn't get fixed. At the end I had to sell the lens.

Comment

I think you'll find that it's not a fault but a general phenomenon of many lenses and camera combinations. Even on my 100-400mk2 on my full frame 6Dmk2, I get vingetting which I use correction software and cropping to remove as much as possible. The effect is less noticable on crop body cameras compared to full frame cameras. It's more noticable at wide apertures so you can mitigate this by closing your lens down as much as possible. I've attached an un-edited/ un-corrected equalised image from my camera to demonstrate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vingette.jpg Views:	0 Size:	393.9 KB ID:	1102982
      Last edited by B7772ADL; 2020-11-16, 15:12.

Comment

What aperture are you shooting with? On most lenses there will be some vignetting at the widest apertures, so you need to stop down to f7.1 or f8 for it to fully go away, or at least enough so it can be fixed in post.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

As said, close the diphragm to at least f8 and the problem is solved. Much also depends on the angle of view.
          Regards

Comment

First of all thanks to everyone for the answers. Almost all the photos I take are with aperture 7.1 or 8, never above 8. As Mahagonny says, I also realized that in some situations and probably with certain angles the effect is less.

Comment

Increase the ISO and close the diaphragm. Slower shutter speeds if possible (usually shutter at 1/650 sec.). Et voila!

Comment

Originally posted by hamza_397 View Post
                Hi

​​​​This is very sad to know about your lens. I was facing the same problem with my Canon 55-250mm IS STM. I tried to fix it but didn't get fixed. At the end I had to sell the lens.
                I also had this same problem with this lens, and ended up upgrading to a Sigma 100-400. From what I’ve heard it’s due to it being a cheaper lens, and being a crop sensor lens which therefore leaves in the corners which have a significant drop in quality.

Comment

Working...
                X