Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon EOS R5+EF/EF-S and/or RF experiences

Dear All,

I have 70D with EF lens now for spotting but I think about changes. I am looking the R5 with RF lens but I do not know how they work in our hobby.

Does anybody use Canon EOS R5 with EF/EF-S and/or RF lens?
    How are your experiences with those combinations?

Thank you in advance!
    Best Regards,
    Zsolt

Cary Liao shoots with one, I don't think he's on the forums but you could try dropping him a message via one of his photos and asking for his opinion. Seems to work fine for him.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I have an EOS RP and I'm over the moon with it! Obviously an R5 is much better but I am in a position to give my thoughts on the system as a whole as I do use RF glass.

First, it's important to realise that, currently, an EVF isn't quite as good as an OVF. Any lag isn't noticeable, even when speed panning, but you will find that the VF can appear dull and hard to see on bright days. Another negative I've found is that images are slightly noisier than other FF sensors but it isn't really an issue — still way beyond APS-C performance (and the R5 is a big improvement).

Moving on to the positives...

The AF is stunning — it never fails to miss and, once locked, it stays locked. It's also lightning fast with Canon's premium RF lenses. My keeper rate has gone up considerably since the switch from DSLRs (it was never bad, it's just that it's near perfect now!). The on-sensor phase detect and thousands of AF points, with near-100% coverage, leave DSLRs out in the cold.

As for the lenses, they're stunning. The reduced flange distance means improved image quality as the light doesn't have to travel as far. The control ring is a bit gimmicky if you ask me and I've never used it, however I may in future and I know many R users swear by it. My RF 24-105 f/4 is optically noticeably better than both EF versions (L I and II). The IS also seems to be slightly more effective than in EF lenses, and with the IBIS of the R5 you'll likely get close to 7 stops of stabilisation!

I know a few people who've made the move over to Canon's mirrorless system and none have been disappointed. If you don't mind paying a pretty premium for the lenses I can well recommend the system.

Comment

Thank you so much your explanation! Its help a lot!

Comment

I have the R5 and have started shooting with the RF 100-500 and the RF 70-200 lenses. AF is insane, and low light / high ISO is impressive as well. Some of my latest photos (after a long hiatus) have been shot with the 100-500, and I've also shot a few with the EF 500 f/4.0 using the basic EF to RF adaptor. Link to my photos

I did have the R and RP prior to the R5 so dealt with the learning curve earlier for the mirrorless system and the new button layouts, etc. and now that I'm used to it I love it.

I did have some trouble with, I think, is a combination of technique and the 100-500 lens. I was constantly getting motion blur when panning (not low shutter speed panning, but panning the lens) at any speed below 1/1600s. Handheld at low shutter speeds was fine, but when panning, it's almost like the IS was conflicting with my intention. I didn't see the same problem with the 500 (shot that hand held down to 1/500 and didn't see the same issue. I initially ended up shooting everything at 1/2000 to 1/2500 to overcome that blur and that worked. That said, some tweaks to my technique and the issue is mostly gone so I'm not quite sure to blame the lens entirely, but it didn't happen with the 100-400 on my DSLRs.

I do have a Google Drive with some sample photos if anyone wants to contact me directly with an email, I can share that folder with you for reference of originally shot JPEGs (no editing other than a watermark).

Comment

Originally posted by jpmagero View Post
              I have the R5 and have started shooting with the RF 100-500 and the RF 70-200 lenses. AF is insane, and low light / high ISO is impressive as well. Some of my latest photos (after a long hiatus) have been shot with the 100-500, and I've also shot a few with the EF 500 f/4.0 using the basic EF to RF adaptor. Link to my photos

I did have the R and RP prior to the R5 so dealt with the learning curve earlier for the mirrorless system and the new button layouts, etc. and now that I'm used to it I love it.

I did have some trouble with, I think, is a combination of technique and the 100-500 lens. I was constantly getting motion blur when panning (not low shutter speed panning, but panning the lens) at any speed below 1/1600s. Handheld at low shutter speeds was fine, but when panning, it's almost like the IS was conflicting with my intention. I didn't see the same problem with the 500 (shot that hand held down to 1/500 and didn't see the same issue. I initially ended up shooting everything at 1/2000 to 1/2500 to overcome that blur and that worked. That said, some tweaks to my technique and the issue is mostly gone so I'm not quite sure to blame the lens entirely, but it didn't happen with the 100-400 on my DSLRs.

I do have a Google Drive with some sample photos if anyone wants to contact me directly with an email, I can share that folder with you for reference of originally shot JPEGs (no editing other than a watermark).

Hello, I got exactly the same blurry problem with you on using R5 + RF100-500. I am also pretty sure it is a motion blurry as I can see it only blurry in the horizontal direction and the same setting is completely fine for on-ground aircraft. I used to use 5D iv with 100-400(1/500, ISO100, F8.0 which never works on my new R5 with RF 100-500 especially for landing aircraft). Should I go for a shorter exposure time and increase ISO? How do you overcome the blurry problem?
              Thank you so much!

Comment

Thank you guys to share your experiences!
                These are really helpful for me!
                I hope those panning problems will be solved soon by Canon.

Comment

Have you guys set the right IS mode on the lens for panning? On the 100-400 mk2 it is mode 2, but i've never really seen any difference from using mode 1 on my 6D. Maybe this has more of an effect on the R5 with the new lens. Might be worth trying the different modes?

Comment

In reality, the R system is not quite so perfect for sports photos. We will see for a long time the traditional ones in the hands of sports photographers (and therefore we too)

Comment

Originally posted by mahagonny View Post
                      In reality, the R system is not quite so perfect for sports photos. We will see for a long time the traditional ones in the hands of sports photographers (and therefore we too)
                      Really? I'm interested to know why you think this? The R5 has a 20fps burst mode (mechanical) and AF far superior to that of any DSLR, and the top RF lenses have dual nano-USM motors and an improved IS. And this isn't even including the upcoming flagship, the R1! If you were referring to the initial two RF models (R and RP) I'd be inclined to agree, however I suspect you've perhaps not personally used an R-series camera/lens?

The only advantage the DSLR now has is the OVF... and even that is only marginal these days. Mirrorless has advanced very quickly and is fast becoming superior to DSLR. And I use both, so there's no bias.

Comment

Working...
                      X