? 4 300D users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for one you get no image degradation from JPEG compression
    You're going to get compression when turning it into JPEG in PS, + when you save it in PS, + after you upload anyway. Unless you will be using the images for some other type of media (Large Printing), then shooting RAW is really a waste of space IMO. If somebody bought me a suite of 4GB CF cards....then maybe I would shoot RAW. In any case, I have seen point and shoot digital shots come out better then certain DSLR RAW shooter's pictures. It's all in the post processing and actual photo taking...

-Clovis

Comment

If your determind to shoot in RAW (for whatever reason) id suggest skipping the compact flash's and heading for a Microdrive. You can get these ranging from 1-10+gb's and they are a great investment. They can also be usefull in the "field" so to speak as there downloading time onto the card from the camera once a picture is taken is alot more minimal than normal CS cards. This is a bonus if your looking to shoot other photos/change settings in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
        You're going to get compression when turning it into JPEG in PS, + when you save it in PS, + after you upload anyway. Unless you will be using the images for some other type of media (Large Printing), then shooting RAW is really a waste of space IMO. If somebody bought me a suite of 4GB CF cards....then maybe I would shoot RAW. In any case, I have seen point and shoot digital shots come out better then certain DSLR RAW shooter's pictures. It's all in the post processing and actual photo taking...
        Yes.... i am aware that there would be image degradation when it's converted in PS to a JPEG . However when i edit the pics..... i edit in TIFF mode and don't convert to JPEG until i'm happy and don't need to edit anymore. And mabey i want to make some lagre format prints to hang in my room too . Also i have outlined the other advantages of raw, such as ability to change exposure on the PC. And i have a 1gb CF..... plenty big enough . And since you say "it's all in the post processing" so i'm quite surproised you don't shoot RAW as it certainly helps with the post processing . I havn't shot JPEG since I got my DSLR, the only thing i would use to JPEG ever for is to shoot snap shots on vacations... anything that i care about i would use RAW.

if you don't like the rolley eyes...... suck it up

Comment

I cant say ive ever felt the need to use RAW, if you are going for the large file size i find that the highest setting on JPEG is plenty big enough. Something around 3024x. To shoot in RAW IMO is a waste of time when bringing the photo down to say 1024x. I guess if you were going to use it for making 10ft posters to hang on your wall then maybe. But to use it on everyday photos is a little odd. Ive looked at your photos and not be rude here but i don't think they really show a need for shooting in RAW.
          btw chill with the 's

Comment

Well i'm not gonna make all of them big, but mabey a few...

anyways.... i use 1200x****

here are my resluts at a.net w/ RAW. not too many yet as i just got the 300D a few weeks ago and we've been having crappy weather. And even with RAW and ISO400 crappy weather is annoying

My pics since i started using the 300D/RAW
            ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
            Click
            Here

Comment

anyways.... i use 1200x****
              .....Oh now i see why you need to use RAW

Comment

EOS 300D/Digital Rebel

Congrats on getting this fine camera and a respectable lens I think you'll really enjoy it. As for reference material on using the camera I would suggest the Magic Lantern Guide for this camera. These are well done guide books that cover everything you may need. Amazon.com has this book available for $14 US.

As for the "debate" on RAW vs. the large JPG file format - I have found that using RAW is a major pain in the neck simply because of the horrible workflow hitches using Canon's software. I am able to download the JPG images much more quickly into a third party application. For some subjects - not aviation related - I do use RAW simply to retain more control over editing. Overall, not a real big need when shooting aircraft. Just my opinion.

Cheers!

Click Here to view my aviation photos.

Comment

Working...
                X