Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's most popular - a competition for reach on SM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's most popular - a competition for reach on SM?

I recently stumbled upon this topic https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...by-steve-rinde and I thought that taking advantage in the number of followers you have on instagram is not a right thing to do when it comes to getting to today's most popular and it made me create an account on the JP forum to voice my opinion. I personally never had a photo in today's most popular because I don't have a chance to promote my photos to such a reach as some people with over 30k followers on social media have. And today I saw the same thing as described in the topic above - look at the attached photo, this guy is not even trying to be discreet about his will to get to today's most popular and I think this is really sad that this honour of having your photo there is not so legitimate anymore as it can be easily cheated by such people. I'd really appreciate if someone from the JP crew could have a look at this and I'm sorry I might be posting this in a wrong category, I'm new here.
    Link to the photo: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10095709

Click image for larger version

Name:	jb.png
Views:	476
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1111748
    Attached Files

It's sad that people do this. They must be incredibly insecure. It's also not etiquette and shows total disrespect for the work of others.

Comment

I agree my friend. Many people get on the front page just because they ask their followers to look at it on Instagram Facebook or other social media platforms and the shot is not even front page worthy

Comment

Everyone,
        I don't see a big problem in promoting a photo on Social Media as it happens all the time. In the end it is not forbidden to promote your own photos on Social Media and in my opinion it is nothing reprehensible neither.
        Since I do this very very rarely only I think starting such a discussion is absolutely unnecessary.
        And JakTrax thanks for your psychological advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Basler View Post
          I don't see a big problem in promoting a photo on Social Media as it happens all the time.
          Yes, it does. But sharing it with your limited group of friends say on facebook or in group chats is a different thing than sharing it on a 30K+ IG account.

In the end it is not forbidden to promote your own photos on Social Media
          Look at the forum thread I linked above - clearly the site administrators are not okay with that and since there has been a case like this before, I'd consider it a precedent - "Steve has been contacted and hopefully the situation will improve".

Since I do this very very rarely only I think starting such a discussion is absolutely unnecessary.
          Well, taking advantage of your big IG following just for the sake of it and so that everybody knows you are the best kinda speaks for itself, also considering the psychological advice thing.

So I guess we can't really do anything about it with this attitude... That's pretty sad, it would be nice to go back to times when top of the day shots were actually based by views on the site and not the number of followers on social media. And if you don't see anything wrong about it... I'm sorry for that

Comment

Indeed, while we prefer more discrete sharing, there are no specific rules saying you can't promote your images on your own social media, just as there are no rules saying you can't criticise others for doing that, so... everyone wins

Comment

kingzib the story was online for a mere 2 hours and seen by only a few hundred people of which only a few dozens actually have clicked on the link which leads to the conclusion that most views were generated fairly.
              dlowwa criticism is important and of course not against the rules. I don’t agree with their opinions which is just as okay as the fact that they disagree with my opinion.

Comment

Fun is the goal of most here. Others perhaps also do it as a job, but those who have fun don't care about this. Then, everyone feels free to do as he sees fit, he responds to himself, obviously if he does not invade the freedom of others. Frankly, wasting your time investigating how to get to the front page is a little pointless.
                Sorry for my bad English

Comment

the story was online for a mere 2 hours and seen by only a few hundred people of which only a few dozens actually have clicked on the link which leads to the conclusion that most views were generated fairly.
                  Yeah, exactly, it's enough to get your photo to the 4th most popular and then people are going to click it, but notice that if you hadn't put it on your ig, it wouldn't even appear on the 4th position. The other photos you uploaded at the same time only got ~100 views or less so saying that this one "fairly" got 400 views in 2 hours (this kind of fits into "few hundred people" who viewed the ig story, and even the "few dozens" who clicked on the link) is treating everyone like idiots who will believe that it is accidental the photo made it there...

But if you want to use your social media power to get views on JP, do this as much as you want to, but be aware others are not able to use the same method which just makes it unfair, even if you put it on your ig for "mere two hours". But who knows, why don't I start caring for my JP views and do something to grow my instagram account, maybe buy some followers for example...

Comment

Easy guys, Joel has taken a really cool shot and promoted it for a couple of hours on IG. He didn't fool anybody the way some of us did and it's really not something he does on a regular basis. The front page looks bad when the 4 pics on top are very average but it's not the case here. Such nice photo makes the front page look better actually

Alex

Comment

kingzib do it then. No one will stop you. I just can’t understand why you‘re making such a big deal out of this situation. But I guess it‘s easy if you‘re anonymous...

Comment

I think the photo is a really nice one and, to me, I can see why it has made it to the top shots for the day. I'm personally not so comfortable with the way it's been done , but that's life and just the way of the internet. I would assume asking the site to formally police this in some way is an impossible task for them. We all do it in some way, many of my friends share links to social media because they are happy to have had photos accepted. I personally don't, most of my friends think I'm a big enough geek anyway without having it confirmed further...

Joel, it's a great photo and I enjoy seeing the Swiss 777 at PVG although I was happiest when they sent 340's.

Comment

Social media is a fact and people will use it. And as jp offers a direct option to share pics on social media, people are free to use it.

Comment

Fun fact:

With this thread and the link to the picture you generated more publicity to his picture than his own IG story.
                            Oliver Richter

Comment

Working...
                            X