Resolution question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution question

While working on some photos today, I noticed that when I come to "save", the resolution of the photos seems unusually high; usually I remember this being about 300px/sq inch, but the photos I am doing today are around 2k; I am wondering what might be causing this and whether is cause for concern. Is it simply a result of using a higher fidelity/quality memory card?

I am using a different memory card; I haven't checked this number recently and I haven't (to my knowledge, unless I've done it accidentally!) changed any of the camera settings. The pictures themselves are obviously quite sharp.

I guess, just out of curiosity, I wanted to know if there was a range of acceptable resolution values and finally, if such a high resolution might accept the photo's acceptability, vis a vis screening.

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
    While working on some photos today, I noticed that when I come to "save", the resolution of the photos seems unusually high; usually I remember this being about 300px/sq inch, but the photos I am doing today are around 2k; I am wondering what might be causing this and whether is cause for concern. Is it simply a result of using a higher fidelity/quality memory card?

I am using a different memory card; I haven't checked this number recently and I haven't (to my knowledge, unless I've done it accidentally!) changed any of the camera settings. The pictures themselves are obviously quite sharp.

I guess, just out of curiosity, I wanted to know if there was a range of acceptable resolution values and finally, if such a high resolution might accept the photo's acceptability, vis a vis screening.
    Pixels per square inch only relates to printing so is irrelevant to displaying on the web. Memory card type will also have no relevance to the resolution of your images, only how many you can store.

Comment

For online use the resolution is not very relevant as it will simply display in the dimensions as specified by the website.
      However when it comes to the use of photos in print or other offline media, using a realistic resolution makes all sense. 300 dpi is perfectly normal for such purpose.

So in short, it will not affect the quality nor screening at JetPhotos.

I do recommend however to stick to a resolution between 72 and 300 dpi, which are industry standards when it comes to online and offline media.
      In addition, extremely high values (such as 10K dpi) or very low values (1 or 2 dpi) could result in file errors or certain software not displaying photos correctly.
      Simon De Rudder
      JetPhotos Management Team

Comment

Working...
      X