Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 90D + 100-400mm Mk.1

Good evening all,

essentially I’m reaching out to any owners of the 90D, more specifically with the canon 100-400mm Mk1 lens. Having come from the 80D I find the photo results incredibly soft and rather underwhelming with the hype that was generated from the 90D. I’ve had to go back to the 80D for the big lens and settled on using the 18-135mm lens on the 90D which is not the end of the world at all, but slightly disappointed such a lens is not even getting results similar to it’s predecessor.

I’m curious if any other owners of the 90D have had similar softness issues, I’ve done a bit of searching across the internet in general, but mostly forums are filled with wildlife photographers so I’m asking here to gauge any opinions from purely aircraft photographers

Cheers!

Hello James,

I'm new using the Canon 90D and I use with my 100-400L II and I really like the results, sharpen photos with a great contrast.

But during the past few days I have used my 100-400 II with 2x extender and some photos show some parts out of focus. And I tried using only my Sigma 50-500 lens and I see the same results, out of focus photos with a few shadows around the aircraft.

I'm starting to believe that it can be something wrong with the compability of Canon 90D with the some lenses.

Comment

Yep, one of my mates had big autofocus issues on a Tamron 150-600 G2 on his 90D, I run the 6D II which is flawless.

Comment

i have the canon 90D and the 100-400mm is 1st lens i have alot of trouble with soft photos

Comment

Originally posted by NZDN_spotting View Post
          Yep, one of my mates had big autofocus issues on a Tamron 150-600 G2 on his 90D, I run the 6D II which is flawless.
          soon as i get money iem gonna up grade to the 6D

Comment

Hello there,

I've had a similar problem with the Sigma 100-400 on my 90D. I ended up selling that lens and upgrading to the 100-400L mark 2, which is mind-blowingly sharp at every focal length. Despite the huge cost, the upgrade justifies itself without a doubt in my opinion.

The problem with the 90D is the extremely high resolution sensor, which is very demanding and kills most lenses very quickly. Try upgrading to newer generation L lenses ASAP if you want the best performance from your 90D. I had to learn that the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by JamesDC152 View Post
              Good evening all,

essentially I’m reaching out to any owners of the 90D, more specifically with the canon 100-400mm Mk1 lens. Having come from the 80D I find the photo results incredibly soft and rather underwhelming with the hype that was generated from the 90D. I’ve had to go back to the 80D for the big lens and settled on using the 18-135mm lens on the 90D which is not the end of the world at all, but slightly disappointed such a lens is not even getting results similar to it’s predecessor.

I’m curious if any other owners of the 90D have had similar softness issues, I’ve done a bit of searching across the internet in general, but mostly forums are filled with wildlife photographers so I’m asking here to gauge any opinions from purely aircraft photographers

Cheers!
              Have you tried MFA (Micro Focus Adjustment)? There are plenty of tutorials online if you Google 90D and MFA. Try that first if you haven't already before giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post

Have you tried MFA (Micro Focus Adjustment)? There are plenty of tutorials online if you Google 90D and MFA. Try that first if you haven't already before giving up.
                can a camera shop do this for you adjust MFA ive had alot of soft soft soft photos ive been driven insane i have canon 90D and canon 100-400mm l is lens ive had some photos turn out ok alot not been a nightmare ad thanks for this information james

Comment

i did the mfa test on mine was ok i did end up reseting back to factorey and reseting the camera settings and had 2 setting on lens wrong hope mines better well find out when go back to the airport soon

Comment

Originally posted by don moore View Post

can a camera shop do this for you adjust MFA ive had alot of soft soft soft photos ive been driven insane i have canon 90D and canon 100-400mm l is lens ive had some photos turn out ok alot not been a nightmare ad thanks for this information james
                    I've heard of examples where people have taken their body and lens into a service centre to get them calibrated. So yes, if you are having issues it might be worth talking to a service centre to see if it could solve any issues you are having.

Comment

ok thanks james

Comment

Originally posted by JamesDC152 View Post
                        Good evening all,

Cheers!
                        Hi James,

I have had a 90D since September last year and have had on going issues with mine.

Nearly every shot was nearly soft apart from one or two, I have tried different things and it's now currently being returned from canon after two months with "No fault found"....

There has been a lot of complaints about the 90D and soft images. Attached are two photos of what I would class as soft and sharp. Is this a similar issue as you?

Looks like Sony or Nikon will be getting my $$$ soon.

Thanks,
                        Matt
                        Attached Files

Comment

The MKI tele end are quite soft for a L lense,and is a 23 years old design,it might be even worst when using in high mp sensor like 90D.
                          Consider upgrading it to MKii,you can find it easily on used market for a reasonable price as everyone is jumping to mirrorless.
                          (I was a MkI user and now using Mkii)

Comment

Funnily enough I (and many others) had exactly the same issue with the EOS 80D, to the point where I got rid of it and went Canon mirrorless (although I still have a 50D and a 6D). One of the first things I did was to try micro-adjust (although MA is basically a euphemism for 'poor quality control') — it didn't work but I suspected it wouldn't since some images were coming out tack-sharp while others were soft/blurry, despite not swapping lenses at any time. I tried every AF menu combo but the results were still inconsistent. I was using the latest L glass (24-70 f/4 and 70-200 f/4 II) so couldn't blame the age of the lenses. The only thing that seemed to improve things considerably was one-shot AF mode.

I suspect early copies of the 80D had some issues with the AF system as I never had any problems with previous DSLRs and have not had any since. The jump to 24 (and ultimately 32 with the 90D) megapixels won't have helped since cramming more onto a relatively small sensor will always render each pixel less sharp — however I knew there was something more to it (although I never really figured it out).

Going a little off-topic but the move to mirrorless is beneficial when it comes to AF — having a hybrid, on-sensor contrast and phase detect AF means you never need to MA — the AF is spot on, all the time. If you're looking at Sony or Nikon mirrorless, I'd recommend looking at Canon first as they are rapidly catching Sony (and are already way ahead of Nikon) with the new RF system. In fact Canon's latest mirrorless AF is class-leading.

There are downsides to mirrorless (EVFs not as good as OVFs, slight blackout between images with some models) but if you're going to upgrade your gear it would make sense to jump to the tech that will eventually replace DSLRs.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                            X