What is JPG Compression Artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is JPG Compression Artifacts?

My photo was rejected because of this. What is this, and can i see an example of an airplane photo with this?

Hello,

Not a screener here.

If you check with the check for dust tool, you will be able to see squares in the sky. This means that export quality is not high enough.

I advise you to increase the export quality in JPEG, by default it is often 70%. Just push the quality cursor at 100% on Lightroom or Photoshop for example. This will depend on your editing software.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by blazinga350 View Post
      My photo was rejected because of this. What is this, and can i see an example of an airplane photo with this?
      Do you have a link to the photo?
      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post

Do you have a link to the photo?
        JetPhotos Rejected Photo � Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-890

Comment

Ok, if you click CHECK FOR DUST you will see the equalized view, you can see that the sky (and the ground as well, for that matter) shows blocky/square-y patterns, that is compression. Like I told you on the A350 post, it's most likely due to a save/export setting when you export out of the software. It's also possible that you selected a lower quality setting in camera to fit more photos per card.
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Please be careful when using "check for dust" if you want to check for compression, as the tool shows a compressed version of the file you upload and then equalises it. It is only an equalisation tool and not a compression checking tool. You might be looking at an image that is more compressed than it actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by blazinga350 View Post
              Scroll down to 6.2 of the upload guidelines:

Comment

I have noticed with the latest version of photoshop that if you edit a jpg image it will give you some jpeg artifacts, even when saving at 12, which is the highest resolution. So make sure you take photos in Raw and edit the raw image.

Comment

Working...
                X