Canon T6 with Sigma 150-600mm (C) - Looking for Settings Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon T6 with Sigma 150-600mm (C) - Looking for Settings Tips

Hey everyone, I am coming up on the 2 year mark of having a DSLR for my aviation photography and I am loving the results I have been getting. Recently I broke down and invested in a Sigma 150-600mm (C) lens that I am also really loving.

For those out there with a Sigma, do you have any settings recommendations for getting those crisp, clear shots? I think I have been doing OK but could always use some tips and tricks. Am shooting in Manual and avoiding Auto so I am looking for good shutter, ISO, F settings for the most part.

Many thanks!
    “In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.” – Anonymous

Im a Canon 100-400 shooter but on a good sunny day I shoot RAW in M, using 1/500, f8, iso 100 (but because I have a 6Dmk2 I usually leave the ISO set to auto with a range of 100-400 as noise isn't an issue on low iso images on the 6D2). When you're shooting at the longer end of your lens you'll want to try and keep the shutter speed higher to compensate for camera shake even with IS switched on.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
      Im a Canon 100-400 shooter but on a good sunny day I shoot RAW in M, using 1/500, f8, iso 100 (but because I have a 6Dmk2 I usually leave the ISO set to auto with a range of 100-400 as noise isn't an issue on low iso images on the 6D2). When you're shooting at the longer end of your lens you'll want to try and keep the shutter speed higher to compensate for camera shake even with IS switched on.
      Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on shooting in just AV and letting the camera pick the shutter speed?
      “In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.” – Anonymous

Comment

AV is totally okay option too, some spotters do use it, like myself. You need to check it yourself to see if it fits you
        I've primarily been shooting manual and switched to AV not that long time ago, so I'm still to do conclusion for myself what fits me better.
        So far it seems to me, that my EOS RP tends to underexpose images in AV mode (using center-weighted metering mode) by third of a step or so, but this is easily fixable on spot by bumping up exposure compensation by the same amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta95Heavy View Post

Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on shooting in just AV and letting the camera pick the shutter speed?
          I started out with Av, usually just set at f8, but I found with some bodies that I was getting wild exposure swings from one shot to the next in a sequence so I just switched to M and have got used to shooting that way. Sometimes when the light is not so good I'll switch to Av. But yeah if you don't want to go full M, then Av is fine. Just keep an eye on the exposure compensation and utilise it where needed.

Comment

Working...
          X