Cloudy day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy day?

Hey! Is it possible to get photos accepted on a cloudy day? I’m living in Gothenburg and it’s always cloudy here.
    My second question is, what settings are good to use in cloudy days?
    Thanks

Hi Victor!

Originally posted by Victor_Dario View Post
    Is it possible to get photos accepted on a cloudy day?
    Yes, definitely.
    I remeber that I have some prictures taken with cloudy conditions in my profile.

My second question is, what settings are good to use in cloudy days?
    Generally, avoid conditions in which the mostly white fuselage blends into a mily white/grey sky with lo / no contrast. Thus, Iīd avoid (departing(landing) photographing planes against sky only. Better choose a background which provides a contrast to the plane, maybe a line of trees or a forest behind a runway or buildings.
    If youīre lucky enough to catch a day with gaps in the clouds, you can take pictures with a nice contrast of a plane hightlighted in the sunlight with a dark background.
    Additionally, cloudy days are a good opportunity to do some panning shots.

To explain what I mean, here are some pictures on cloudy days I got accepted to give you an impression (however, most of my pictures in my profile are taken on sunny days - if there isnīt a special movement, I try to avoid cloudy days, and if I go on cloudy days, I usually shoot less and donīt upload the shots where I donīt see any chance of getting the photos accepted):

G-ZBLB. Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Clouds close to the horizon were more dense than in front of the sun, additionally, snow covered fields were illuminating the frame from below.

G-ZBKI. Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Panning. Luckily the clouds at the horizon were dense enough to appear a little bit darker than the aircraft. Still, I feel lucky I got this one accepted.

Itīs best if the aircraft seperates well from the background:

1121. Piper PA-42-720 Cheyenne IIIA. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

...which isnīt hard if the livery is well suited for that purpose. Besides, the poor lighting due to the clouds allows longer exposure time (1/125s for the pic above) for panning for better aircraft - background separation.

B-6190. Airbus A319-132. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

dark clouds at the horizon separate well against the a/c

Hope this helps you.
    Best,
    Chris

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_42253.jpg Views:	4 Size:	850.6 KB ID:	1121471Click image for larger version  Name:	image_42254.jpg Views:	4 Size:	872.1 KB ID:	1121470
      Hey! Thanks for the information Pie, I really appreciate it (:
      I find it very difficult to get good results in cloudy days but I manage to take some god/ok, I give you an example of 2 picture I took.
      What do you think about these, do you have some respons? Do you think it would be accepted?

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	image_42253.jpg Views:	4 Size:	850.6 KB ID:	1121471Click image for larger version Name:	image_42254.jpg Views:	4 Size:	872.1 KB ID:	1121470
        I find it very difficult to get good results in cloudy days but I manage to take some god/ok, I give you an example of 2 picture I took.
        What do you think about these, do you have some respons? Do you think it would be accepted?
        In my opinion it looks like these two photos have appropriate lighting and contrast to be accepted, I think it should be sharpened a little bit more. I am in Boston and it often gets very rainy around here, I would say about 50% of the time photos come out with appropriate contrast when cloudy.

Best,
        Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Marty B View Post

In my opinion it looks like these two photos have appropriate lighting and contrast to be accepted, I think it should be sharpened a little bit more. I am in Boston and it often gets very rainy around here, I would say about 50% of the time photos come out with appropriate contrast when cloudy.

Best,
          Marty

Okay thanks for the reply Marty! Yeah the same here in Sweden Gothenburg, 50% of the photos are good, but sometimes the cloudy photos are good

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	image_42253.jpg Views:	4 Size:	850.6 KB ID:	1121471Click image for larger version Name:	image_42254.jpg Views:	4 Size:	872.1 KB ID:	1121470
            For me, in their current form they would be a contrast rejection. I'd add more contrast and upload the top one. Don't be scared to bring the contrast slider over 50 on days like this.

Comment

Cloudy weather is a difficult one. Contrast issues will be the biggest issue here, so it has to have a good balance of lighting and contrast and everything else would need to be super perfect like the sharpness for example. What we will consider is how rare the frame is. If you're sending us a photo of a BA A320 or easyJet A320 that we have plenty of photos of in good sunny light then it's less likely to be considered and will probably receive a contrast rejection. If you can it's best to wait for a sunny day, as frustrating as that might be to you. You could always upload it to Flikr or Instagram instead. I know you might then say there are plenty of older photos in cloudy weather on JP. This is true but standards have moved on with time.

Comment

Working...
              X