No announcement yet.

Looking for Canon 2x extender owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Canon 2x extender owners...

Hello! Looking forward for an upgrade from my 70-200L Canon EF lens onto something a little bit bigger. The reason? Even 200mm on my cropped 7d isn't enough to reach some points at my home airport. Larger lenses, on the other hand, do (https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10398513 — a picture from my friend with a 400mm lens), but right now I am short on money to afford myself a Canon EF 100-400. So I am looking to buy Canon 2x extender of the first or second generation and use it with an already-owned 70-200 f/4.

Did anybody here use it? Is it worth buying? Does the quality of a resulting image suffer significantly when using a converter? Thank you in advance for your answers!

Hello,
    Result at 400mm will be miles from what you'd get with the 100-400.
    I tried the 2x extender with several combos, 70-200 included (2.8 though) and always found the results at 400mm really too soft. Also keep in mind that with the f4 version you'll lose a lot of speed, which isn't ideal if you're shooting at 400mm

Regards
    Alex

Comment

I used a 1.4x on a 70-200 f2.8 before I got my 100-400 and it was absolutely fine and it was virtually invisible (ie you wouldn't know it it was there apart from the extra length). The 2x is a different matter. The results were much softer. It was a disappointing combo.

Comment

I've got the Mark III version of the 2x extender for my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, it came with it when I got it. I wouldn't recommend going and buying one, especially if you're putting it on an f/4 lens, the image is softer and autofocus is impacted heavily. You're better off saving your money for a new lens.

Comment

you might think of a non-canon lens. I have the Tamron 100-400 which I use with great satisfaction both on APSC and full-frame

Comment

I had a chance to test out the 2x extender with my Canon 70-200 F2.8 III on a 750D. The results were mixed in terms of sharpness - got some pretty crisp shots at lower focal lengths but at 400mm things were a tad different (https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10281372). Another issue was the autofocus, which did work but was noticeably slower than usual (quite a downside at an airshow). This might be a problem for you even more than it was for me considering you have an F4 lens so it'll probably be better to save up for a 100-400 lens or try the 1.4x converter first.

Please ignore the "document write" things, I don't know how to get rid of them

Comment

Thank you all for the answers! Guess I'll save for the 400mm lens then.

Comment

Working...
              X