Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use IS or not?

Hi,

i am getting mixed information on this subject so I’ll ask here!

I have an 80D with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens. When shooting an airborne aircraft, should I turn image stabilization on or off? I read some place that it only works when shooting still objects, but elsewhere it says to also use it for moving objects.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Denis

IS works in any situation, and you can try turning it on and off, then half-pressing the shutter, shaking the camera a little, and you can feel a noticeable difference in the viewfinder.
    In fact, with telephoto lenses, unless the light is very good, turning off IS will risk you not getting a sharp photo.

Comment

I use it whenever I'm shooting handheld and it appears to work very well (depending on the lens), but I turn it off when I'm using a tripod. My understanding is that the IS gyro (or whatever that thing is called) is expecting to get and compensate for camera shake when it's turned on and when it doesn't get any, like when the camera's on a tripod, it freaks out a little bit and messes up your shot. Otherwise it works just fine. A few of my personal experiences seem to corroborate this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rodeback View Post
        I use it whenever I'm shooting handheld and it appears to work very well (depending on the lens), but I turn it off when I'm using a tripod. My understanding is that the IS gyro (or whatever that thing is called) is expecting to get and compensate for camera shake when it's turned on and when it doesn't get any, like when the camera's on a tripod, it freaks out a little bit and messes up your shot. Otherwise it works just fine. A few of my personal experiences seem to corroborate this as well.
        I confirm. When the camera is stopped, the IS should be turned off

Comment

On most lenses, IS had different modes. To my understanding, Mode 2 on Canon lenses is for shooting moving objects.

Comment

I always use IS, unless tripod mounted. Generally, mode 1 is the one you want to use as it stabilises both axes, so ideal for most situations. Mode 2 is better for panning shots apparently but I haven't really noticed any difference and have used mode 1 in panning shots too. The amount of blurry shots I get with IS switched off increases dramatically, especially in lower light. It's there for a reason, so use it.

Comment

Great, thanks for your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by eurowing View Post
                Hi,

i am getting mixed information on this subject so I’ll ask here!

I have an 80D with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens. When shooting an airborne aircraft, should I turn image stabilization on or off? I read some place that it only works when shooting still objects, but elsewhere it says to also use it for moving objects.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Denis
                Hello Denis,
                My suggestion is to turn IS off when shooting airborne crafts.
                The reason for this is when holding the camera upwards at approx. 45 degrees - a phenomenon occure, especially with Canon lenses, as the stabilizer varies between horizontal axis and vertical axis in a way that looks "un-decisively".

I always turn IS off on planespotting, mode 2. Useing Canon 60D, EF 70-200 4.0.
                Sincerely,
                Ike Harel

Comment

Working...
                X