Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using compressed air duster to clean CMOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using compressed air duster to clean CMOS?

I bought a can of micro filtered compressed air in a can to clean my lenses and other various things. I was wondering if it would work to clean the sensor, perhaps if I hold the camera upside down and spray?

Or should I just use swab/wipes like everyone else...

-Clovis

Don't use the can. You'll spoil the sensor. I remember reading somewhere the cans may contain something besides just air, or then the pressure is so great the air freezes when it leaves the can or something.
    Just don't use it.

-Pepe-

Comment

Yeah. My friend Paulsen knows how to use the wipe/swab method, I'll just do that.

-Clovis

Comment

I wouldn't even go near the CMOS. Go to someone who knows what they are doing (like a good camera place). One mistake and your camera is pretty much useless.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
          Not good near electronics and CCD's
          take the can turn it upside down and spray it on a surface that is resilient. In all likelihood you will get a patch of ice. As Kevin said above it's no good to deep freeze electronics.

Comment

I use compressed air on my lenses and my CCD and have had no problems what so ever. Yeah, if you tip the can upside down, the liquid will spray out and freeze anything it touches, but as long as you hold it upright and spray in short quick bursts, nothing will come out. Besides, what's a little compressed air gonna do to my D100, break it? Pshhh, no

Comment

The cleanest way is using a C02 duster.

The real problem is the gas pressure, it might move or break something inside.

Cheers

Gabe

Comment

Actually, you should NEVER use that compressed air on your CCD so you're right Clovis, don't let others talk you into it ..

The compressed air should be OK, but sometimes stuff other than the compressed air comes out of the little can and smeared across your CCD is NOT where you want that stuff.

Happened to us, but fortunately we cleaned it that way at the suggestion of the camera shop so they fixed the camera for us (phew!). Stick with the swabs, they appear to be tried and tested.

ADG
                ADG
                No makeovers please .....

Comment

I have a CMOS chip people...Canon DSLR And no Compressed Air for me...only swabs/wipes.

-Clovis

Comment

CMOS/CCD .. the square doovie is the same, just the technology is different.

Picky blighter.

ADG
                    ADG

Comment

CMOS...CMOS better!

-Clovis

Comment

Actually the only people who claim that are Canon.

however, standby as he who takes better pics than me has arranged to borrow a Canon camera for his next airshow so he'll be able to give us his impressions with regards to comparison!

ADG
                        ADG

Comment

Glenn using a Canon...now theres an event in itself...

-Clovis

Comment

Hasn't happened yet Clovis .. I suspect his D100 is suffering from "back focus" which is why he isnt' happy with it. There is always that new Nikon as well that we should look at ..

But right now we're working on something far more important that is causing us to curtain travel/spending.

ADG
                            ADG

Comment

Working...
                            X