Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about crop sensor DSLR's and centering of your subject.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about crop sensor DSLR's and centering of your subject.

Hey guys. I have been shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel T6 for the past couple of years and I am wondering why a lot of photos I shoot are not centered in the downloaded photo as opposed to what I see in the viewfinder of the camera itself when I shoot the photo....

Because of this, a lot of great photos I have taken to possibly upload to JP are not usable because the aircraft winds up too low in the photo for me to edit. Is that the disadvantage of having a crop sensor DSLR vs a full frame? I am uploading an example of what I am getting out of the camera vs a basic edit.

This first photo is right out of the camera, the second is the basic edit. Again, when I shot this, it looked centered in the viewfinder but the A359 is lower in the actual photo vs viewfinder. Thanks! (PS - I know this is shot is likely heat hazed....)

Click image for larger version

Name:	04-19-2022-0669-2.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	1139253Click image for larger version

Name:	04-19-2022-0669.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	1139254
    “In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.” – Anonymous

Hi.
    No, this is nothing about crop or full format, the picture should roughly have the same framing as in the viewfinder (some crop cameras have a lower viewfinder coverage of ~95% but thatīs not enough to explain the deviation in your image).
    Most likely the image in the viewfinder was the same than the one presented by you, but with the LED screen below the viewfinder image and the uniform sky at the top, you might be tricked into placing the subject too low. You can try to use the focus fields as additional assistance and place the center and left/right edge focus points on the fuselage. Btw, with the DSLR, I usually only use the center focus point, if you position that on the fuselage, centering should be better.
    For the shown picture, you can try other aspect ratios as 16:10 or 16:9 so you can cut more off the sky to get the plane centered.

Comment

Best way to counter that is to give yourself wiggle room on both sides so you can level/crop in post. It's way easier to slightly recompose when you have a big display and the subject isn't moving.

The 95-96% coverage issue isn't exclusive to crop cameras, some full framers have that as well, like the 6D/6D2, and when shooting with both the 6D2 and the 7D2 (7D2 has 100% coverage), the difference is noticeable in post.

[SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by pie View Post
        Hi.
        No, this is nothing about crop or full format, the picture should roughly have the same framing as in the viewfinder (some crop cameras have a lower viewfinder coverage of ~95% but thatīs not enough to explain the deviation in your image).
        Most likely the image in the viewfinder was the same than the one presented by you, but with the LED screen below the viewfinder image and the uniform sky at the top, you might be tricked into placing the subject too low. You can try to use the focus fields as additional assistance and place the center and left/right edge focus points on the fuselage. Btw, with the DSLR, I usually only use the center focus point, if you position that on the fuselage, centering should be better.
        For the shown picture, you can try other aspect ratios as 16:10 or 16:9 so you can cut more off the sky to get the plane centered.
        Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give that a try and experiment with a few other things as well.
        “In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.” – Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
          Best way to counter that is to give yourself wiggle room on both sides so you can level/crop in post. It's way easier to slightly recompose when you have a big display and the subject isn't moving.

The 95-96% coverage issue isn't exclusive to crop cameras, some full framers have that as well, like the 6D/6D2, and when shooting with both the 6D2 and the 7D2 (7D2 has 100% coverage), the difference is noticeable in post.
          Good to know I am not the only one who has those occasional issues. Thanks bro!

Comment

Working...
          X